Winter veggies

DeeOliver(z5 NY)September 29, 2005

Hiya folks,

Was wondering what winter crops anyone has experience with here in upper HV (I'm in Saugerties). Has anyone grown kale (not in cold frame or hoop house)?

Where can I get transplants?

Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I grow kale every year. Russian Red is my favorite...seeds are from Johnny's Selected seeds. If the winter has good snow cover, the plants winter over and tiny, very sweet plantlets grow all along the stem, which by then has lain on the ground. Some winters they turn to mush. Each plant is huge, like 4 feet across.

I also grow spinach, which I start in the fall by seed, winter over under light, leafy mulch, and they continue to grow in spring. They bolt by June, responding to day length, which is why spring seeding doesn't produce great plants around here (in my experience.)

Parsley started in spring will winter over and flower the next year. I pick it frozen all winter.

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 9:20PM
corapegia(z5 NY)

I'm also in Saugerties. Each year is different but in milder years I've kept lettuce, bok choy, kale etc going over the winter using hoops and plastic sheeting over my slightly raised beds. Also use "Remay" over the same hoops early spring to get a good start. Have been frustrated by the lack of available seeds late in the season and absolute absence of any starts for late broccoli etc. You really have to plan ahead and start the kale by July or so. Plant garlic within the next couple of weeks. I start the bok choy and lettuce in flats and transplant now. Slugs eat newly sprouted seeds so I find the starts for spinach, lettuce etc work better.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 9:12AM
DeeOliver(z5 NY)

Thanks!

I bought garlic at the festival to start, will look for kale seeds and will winter sow them.

Dee

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 9:39AM
corapegia(z5 NY)

just found this article in Ulster Publishing (Saugerties Times, Woodstock Times etc) discussing winter veges http://www.ulsterpublishing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=358569

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Beneficial nematodes
I have a couple of questions. I've been invaded with...
klbz
Double Loop Ornamental Fencing
Has anyone seen this for sale locally? I am planning...
blackcat333
tomatoes, please!
I'm looking everywhere I can think of for some home...
carress
Where can I buy straw?
Hello all. I'm in Lower Westchester (Dobbs Ferry),...
KGates
Dino Kale -- light in color. Ideas?
I put some of my dino kale from seed (1 month old,...
arobaina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™