Elephant Ears ...... How to store them for the winter?

lachic(z6 NY)October 31, 2006

Does anyone know how I could store my elphant ears during the winter months. I bought little starter plants this spring and they are really beautiful. I'm really not sure what kind of root system they have, although; I've seen hugh elephant ear bulbs in stores. I would rather store them away if possible as, I don't think I'll be able to pot them all up. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldroser(z5)

I've never grown these but for most tubers and bulbs the recommendation is a cool, dry place. Maybe a paper bag in the crisper tray? Just be sure it never gets below freezing. Of course, if you've got an unheated cellar that doesn't freeze,you are well ahead - just make sure they are protected from mice since the tubers are very edible.
Also a good idea to check mid-way through the winter and, if they show signs of shriveling, dampen and put in plastic bag to rehydrate. Or store in damp sand.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 1:19PM
lachic(z6 NY)

oldroser - Thank you for your tip....I'll give it a try!

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 12:17PM
wantoretire_did

If you put them in a reasonable sized pot, they will do great indoors in a sunny spot. They are a tropical plant; I don't think they want to be cold, but I could be wrong. Mine do fine in a SW facing window and produce leaves all winter. They still need lots of water.

Carol

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 8:48AM
lachic(z6 NY)

Carol....Thank you! I'm going to try potting up some of the smaller plants. The plants have gotten so large that I won't be able to place them all indoors. I was thinking of removing the little baby plants from the main plant and, keeping them indoors. This way if the bulb dies in storage, I would have the plant to replant oudoors next spring. They are just beautiful plants.....I love them!

Thanks so much for your tip!

Bookmark   November 4, 2006 at 11:10AM
wantoretire_did

Lachic - be sure to put them in a large enough pot. I don't plant mine in the ground, just keep them in the pot.

Are you from LA?

Carol

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 6:20PM
wantoretire_did

Ooops - just realized you are in NY; Your name confused me. Sounds like something my sister in LA would call herself :-)

Carol

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 12:49PM
tommyr_gw

I grow the smaller one's inside in a west window and the larger one I let dry out and put in a cool spot.

Tom

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 6:28AM
More Discussions
Coyote Urine ....Woodchucks!
Yupp, its a real woodchuck problem! We have 4 babies...
joyce58
How to Kill Zoysia Grass Invading My Lawn?
What started out 12 years ago to be a few small round...
jay1951
House plant pests
I heard that cold pressed neem oil is good for house...
cheryl64
tomatoes, please!
I'm looking everywhere I can think of for some home...
carress
Allegheny spurge, periwinkle and other
I'm looking for an evergreen groundcover that won't...
kitasei
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™