Chestnut?

scented_berry(Z5 upstate NY)October 4, 2005

Anyone ever spot groups of chestnut trees (castanea) in our area or anywhere in Eastern NY? I remember we had a lot of trees before the blight, but I wanted to show my young nephews, kids etc where the tree where those yummy chestnuts are from and there aren't any to show them. If you know a place, please let me know.

Oh well, may be I'm just dreaming of the old time :) Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldroser(z5)

I have on my mantel a chestnut bur that a visitor picked up in the woods here - but he didn't remember where and I've never seen a live tree. Apparently occasionally a seedling does get large enough to bear before being dying from blight.
When I was a child, the woods were full of dead chestnuts - wonderful wood for fence rails since it split so easily. One of my chores was to split wood for kindling and it was a real pleasure to take an axe to a chunk of chestnut as it required barely an effort to split it into thin splints. But even 70 years ago, there were no living trees left.

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 7:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blackcat333(z6 NY)

At Museum Village (www.museumvillage.org) in Monroe they have the trunks of American Chestnuts used as columns in one of the buildings. I believe they were salvaged during the blight. There is also a small display about them. You can also go to http://www.acf.org to find out how these trees are being reintroduced.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Bulbs/Flowers for Wet Soil
Greetings, I'm located in mid-Dutchess county. I've...
moosbrugger
Baking Soda and Soil
Hello....Recently I have read that thinly applying...
joyce58
Best Roses for our area or forget it?
Has anyone had good luck with a particular variety...
tristate
Will my Gold Cone Deodar Cedar turn Gold?
Hey guys, I live on Long Island, I purchased a Gold...
stuartlawrence
Looking for lily of the valley and liriope
I live near Peekskill and in need of copious amounts...
kitasei
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™