Hard freeze last night

oldroser(z5)October 13, 2006

I was out at 2 am and turned the sprinkler on the vegetable garden so this morning it was coated in ice. The tomato foiage died but the fruit was protected and I just picked another 17 pounds, bringing the total for the year to 115. That's less than last years 120 pounds and I planted two more tomatoes this summer. But not a bad crop over-all I should have tomatoes right up to the first of November with any luck. After that it will be a long wait until next July.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nygardener(z6 New York)

I was lucky  I had a little frost damage but plenty of things were fine, including many tender plants. I've just taken indoors those that were potted and will do the same the next couple of nights. Threw a blanket over a couple of beds and we'll see how they look in the morning ....

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 11:55PM
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

So far, I've missed everything though there's been frost in the valley on both sides on Friday and Saturday. This year, being at 850 feet elevation has really helped extend the season and even the peppers and basil are still alive.

Most of my tomatoes are still green and I don't think they're going to ripen before a killing freeze. I'm around 50 lbs of tomatoes and it's the first year I've been that high - I've learned a lot about the canner this year!

I think I'll hedge bets and bring in most of the tender things I can this weekend - like lemongrass and the bay tree - just in case the weather people miss one.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 7:10PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

What do you folks have, a scale in your garden??

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 5:20PM
rococogurl

My flowers & herbs weathered the frost last week (even the basil) but I'm feeling that chill today.

Thinking of disconnecting the drip watering system today and doing my cutting back (hydrangeas) next weekend and shoveling some soil around the roots of the hedge roses (which are still blooming miraculously).

Is everyone else on the same wavelength or am I a bit early? Late?

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 10:21AM
philomena(z 5A NY)

I'm a little confused too - I haven't had any hard frosts at all yet - my impatience are all still in flower, even the ones in hanging pots, which really surprises me. All the potted tender herbs are also still going. I feel like I should be starting to cut things back, but so many plants are still in bloom ! I'll probably start some cleanup next weekend also, as there are some plants way past peak, like rudbeckia, so that should be OK.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 8:25AM
oldroser(z5)

The tomatoes are weighed after they are picked and brought into the house. Just as a matter of record so I can see how this year's crop compares to last year and the year before. Tomatoes were a week later this year and frost a week earlier but I think most of the decrease in production was due to the cool, wet summer.
The cannas and fig tree came inside this morning - colder temperatures are predicted by mid-week and we've already had mornings down to 26 degrees.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 3:34PM
hedwarr(z5)

I live in Wurtsboro and work in Middletown. The difference in weather is dramatic. I left for work the other day and it was 34 degrees at home. In Middletown it was 42. Picked the last of my Supersweets last week. Everyrhing else was uprooted weeks ago due to heavy downpours. Still a good tomato year but not the best. What varieties are you all growing in 07? I have hundreds of varieties of seeds if anyone is interested in trading. ED

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 6:09AM
More Discussions
What's your experience with tick bites this season?
I have been bitten about 5 times this season. I'm in...
susanzone5
Heritage Raspberries still not ready yet Sept 9th
Hi...anyone else growing Heritage Raspberries in the...
Greenhorn2
anyone else experiencing bumblebees?
ok, so we've had flies. we've had lady bugs. we're...
robbiezone5
Beneficial nematodes
I have a couple of questions. I've been invaded with...
klbz
How to Kill Zoysia Grass Invading My Lawn?
What started out 12 years ago to be a few small round...
jay1951
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™