"keep for 1 month to mature"

Han123(5a)September 3, 2012

I have a chutnet recipe that instructs to can (no BWB)and keep for 1 month before eating.

Now, as there is no BWB I am realy not sure if this a viable recipie or not. No it is not from one of the reconised vaildated sites (I know you are rolling your eyes and shaking your head), I am only asking about this one as my mother has made it for the last 20 years and it is an old recipie from a trusted British cook (1990 original, republished 2006).

Ingrediants

14oz (400g) no-soak appricots chopped

1 teason whole coriander seeds toasted and ground

8oz (225g) light brown sugar

15 fl oz (425ml) cider vinegar

1 medium onion chopped

2oz (50g) sultanas

2 Tbsp finley ground fresh ginger root

2 cloves garlic minced

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp caynne pepper

zest and juice one small orange

Add all ingredients together. heat and stir until sugar disolved. Simmer for 45 mins-1hr. Spoon into warm steralised jars and seal straight away.

Best kept fpr 1 month before eating.

I am sure you are all going to say not, don't do it. So if that is your answer, how long would you expext this to keep in the fridge.

Thanks

Hannah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Like the long "safe chutney?" discussion from last week it is a do at your own risk recipe - your choice.

Does the book or Mom give any idea how long it would store? Not a recipe most of us would use so no personal experience to know storage length. Flora will likely be by and she would know better. It is well acidified so should be good for the standard 3 months anyway.

Dave

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 10:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

With a decent amount of vinegar and the onion, ginger (minimal amount) and garlic (also minimal) thoroughly cooked with a good amount of vinegar, I don't see this as a recipe to worry about.

The bulk of the recipe is high-acid and if you cooked the onions, ginger and garlic in the vinegar first for 5-10 minutes, then added the fruits, sugar and spices for the remaining time, I just don't see much of a problem.

I would guess at least the three months Dave mentioned, but I'm betting six months to a year wouldn't be out of line in a refrigerator.

The nice thing about that chutney is with dried apricots, golden raisins, orange and onion, it's something that can be made any time of the year, so stocking up in large amounts isn't necessary. For that reason, I wouldn't bother to can it anyway.

Carol

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
storing leeks
This has been our second year vegetable gardening....
marricgardens
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™