I was gifted some Lemon Lime today ..

leafwatcher(zone 5)April 26, 2012

Its from an old established group at my wifes friends house, and I planted it along an area that is just a thin strip along a fence. I won't be near any other Hosta so I hope there will be no HVX jitters !!!!

I broke a block about the size of 9 by 9 inches up into six pieces, and planted them down the line.

then I gave them some aquarium water, yes ...I am still cheating and using my aquarium water here and there ;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Leafwatcher, I saw something about a university which had a fish raising facility hooked up to recycle its water through some growing beds. WISH I could remember where I ran across it!! Probably in the NYT Dot Earth section....but not a guarantee.

Hope your new plants give you no grief. Let's see how your new bed along the fence looks.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 11:44PM
hostaLes(5)

You're confusing me. What is cheating about using aquarium change water? I feel guilty whenever I add it to my municipal waste treatment plant.

Have I missed something?

Les

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 11:48AM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

hahahah, no Les,

I am just trying to convince myself that carrying buckets of water up the stairs, out to the plants, and scooping a bowl of water out for each plant IS A SECRET WEAPON that really works :)

I was just being a little over the top to make it more interesting ;)

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:53PM
jan_on zone 5b

Hey as long as your knees don't mind, I'm sure all other parties think it's a great idea!
Jan

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:15PM
mosswitch

I planted some Lemon Lime divisions this year, like that. so far they look pretty good (except for the one the rabbits ate....)

Sandty

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 3:37PM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

Mine look pretty tough, I think they had been in a box for a few days, and now its cool and WINDY as heck, I think some sunshine will wake them up...

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:17PM
franknjim

It grows like a weed. I have way too much of it because I can't get myself to throw any of it away.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:58PM
bernd ny zone5

Lemon Lime this time of the year is very bright I noticed. But as a border plant at a fence you probably need something larger. Since they grow like a weed, I planted them along my 60 ft dry creek in spots, but seedling Japanese primula are shining them out.
Bernd

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 7:46AM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

The fence is just a small decorative one along a narrow planted area in the back yard... A couple clumps look much better, some of the others are still very tough looking.. I am sure time will heal all (Hosta) wounds ! :)

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
hostanista
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™