Is my bird feeder safe from bears yet?

susanzone5(z5NY)November 8, 2004

So, has anyone seen any evidence of bears still wandering around or can I safely put my bird feeder out again?

We have bears around here. One got my very expensive feeder a few years ago, and left its footprints in fresh soil....the size of my hands. Bear poo was all around the fruit trees in the meadow this year.

Do you have any good bear stories? Seasonal affective disorder is beginning to set in...snowed today off and on.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

The last bear that I saw was wandering down the hill in my back yard around 2 weekends ago. This time, it was with 2 pretty big cubs - maybe born in the spring? - and they cleaned the old bird's nest off of my clothesline. I'd imagine that they are getting ready to hibernate soon, either that or they know it's already bow season and just time to start hiding.

I don't know how far north you are but I might wait until Thanksgiving to give the feeder a shot just to be safe.

Bookmark   November 9, 2004 at 5:44PM
blackcat333(z6 NY)

Luckily, not to many bears around here...yet. Maybe they are afraid of the large hoards of deer? LOL When do they start hibernating? I was wondering if the snakes are asleep yet, too. I need to clean some plants out and the snakes liked to sneak into them all summer.

Bookmark   November 10, 2004 at 10:05AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Well, since it's freezing out today, we took down the hammock and put the birdfeeder up (between the same 2 trees the hammock was on). It was so cute to see all the birds come to the feeder at once. They have been waiting for it!

I keep looking for things to do in the garden...all that's left is a few bulbs which I always look at and put off planting. LOL.

Bookmark   November 10, 2004 at 5:51PM
cccatcrazy(Z4 NY Catskills)

Garden, green and milk snakes have been tucked away since the autumn spectacular -- can't speak for the larger species. Bears may den up and pop out on warmer days until about now. I usually wait until first lasting snow to fill my feeders. Almost tripped over a fresh pile of bear poop under an apple tree (no apples, sorry, Ms. Bruin!)on Sunday, so presume our local denizens have not yet put up for the winter.

Bookmark   November 16, 2004 at 7:09PM
orcuttnyc(z5-6 NY)

New Jersey just ok-ed this years bear hunt.. :( I understand the bear problems...but...we're overcrowding their habitat and enticing them with exposed garbage...I getbears in my lower Orange county place once a month or so. Has never been a problem. I just buy Home Depot cheap side feeders instead of expensive ones.

Bookmark   November 18, 2004 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Hudson Valley Home and garden tours?
I'm mostly on the New England board but decided to...
javaandjazz
Best Roses for our area or forget it?
Has anyone had good luck with a particular variety...
tristate
Bulbs/Flowers for Wet Soil
Greetings, I'm located in mid-Dutchess county. I've...
moosbrugger
Dino Kale -- light in color. Ideas?
I put some of my dino kale from seed (1 month old,...
arobaina
Know of any great summer sales?
Do you know when any good nurseries are starting to...
kitasei
Sponsored Products
Marquis by Waterford 'Brookside' All Purpose Wine Glasses (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Plexiglass 13 Inch Bath Bathroom Shelf With Railing
TheBathOutlet
Woodard Andover Sling Rocking Lounge Chair - 3Q0465-08-01B
$617.50 | Hayneedle
Eastwood Leather Sectional with Bumper (2 piece) - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Tremble Giclee 7 1/2" Wide Brushed Steel Mini Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Red Cedar 32" Wide 8' Cross Legged Picnic Table with (4) 4' Cross Legged Benches
Fifthroom.com
LZF | Totem 3 Suspension Light
YLighting
Houston Astros Dirt Pen
$19.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™