What's bloomin' today...

denise_gwJuly 30, 2013

I've had my cv. 'Jennifer' for 5 years now and it's finally decided to bloom! It's large leaves have always impressed me with their veining...

...so I never really complained about the fact that it didn't bloom. They're cute flowers, though...

Much smaller than I would have imagined - the whole cluster is maybe 2" across. I would call them medium sized. This closeup shows new buds forming right behind the ones that are open!

Megalaster has been a real problem child ever since I've had it. It puts on growth, then promptly aborts the new leaves the minute I so much as breath on them. Ends up with long leafless vines, which I cut back to try to encourage some new growth. The rather old plant is still very small because so few leaves have made it to maturity. But I've always liked it and wished it were easier because the leaves are almost black when given enough sun. Well, a few weeks ago, I noticed it developing this little peduncle on the long leafless vine I hadn't gotten around to whacking off. Of course, with my history with this one, I had little faith it would turn out well, so I ignored it and didn't get my hopes up. But it grew, and grew, and grew...

From the top...

I'm thinking, "Whoa! Those are getting BIG!" And today, they started to open!...

Individual flowers are an inch across!...

To put it mildly, I'm pretty excited!

Denise in Omaha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

Wow Denise Megalaster is Gorgeous!!! I love it!!

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 5:14PM
amber_m(5)

both are beautiful!!!

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 6:44PM
suetran1(7NC)

Congratulation!! Beautiful flowers.
I had one big "Megalaster' also, and it was blooming in March,. . I was hoping for few years to see the flower, it turn out : not 'Megalaster' but 'Macgilvrayii'. The leaves is a little smaller than Mac., that why I can not regconize it.
Now I don't know what to do with it, I had 2 big Mac. already :(
sue

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 8:55AM
denise_gw

Hi Sue,

You're lucky, though. I've grown my macgillivrayii for over 7 years with nary a flower. It produces peduncles occasionally, but they never develop any buds. The leaves on mac are much prettier than on megalaster, IMO.

I love how glossy the flowers are on the megalaster. It's a beauty! I don't detect any scent, though...

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:12AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Wow Denise those are some gorgeous blooms!! LOVE Megalaster...it really is stunning!! Congrats!!

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:19AM
cpawl(8)

Love,Love your megalaster,I have a cutting of this hoya for over a year and it just sits there doing not a thing .

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 8:45PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

thanks for sharing your beautiful blooms Denise!

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 5:16PM
Klea(4b)

Such beautiful pictures of such stunning flowers! I love those dense, round balls of flowers that some hoyas produce - like the one on your cv. 'Jennifer'. Does it have a scent?

Your megalaster is beautiful too. Shiny, waxy flowers - and I really like the color! I can see why you are excited!!

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 5:39PM
lilbruni40

What to do when you recieve your cuttings?

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Hoya?
Anyone know the name of this Hoya...about 3cm flower?...
marleneann
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™