Tomato Chutney

miyaSeptember 19, 2012

Hi everyone, yet another "is this safe for canning?" question from a newbie. A dear friend gave me this recipe from the 1970s and I made it just as written (but scaled down!), and BWB'd it. It was delicious, especially on gouda. But now I'm fretting about the shelf safety since I couldn't find anything similar in the newer canning books I looked at. Please help!

Tomato Chutney

6 lbs tomatoes

3 lbs tart apples

2 lbs yellow onions

2 lbs sugar

1 qt cider vinegar

1/2 c salt

1 Tablespoon black pepper

1 tsp cinnamon (or adjust to your taste)

Core but do not peel the tomatoes and apples. Coarsely chop the tomatoes, apples, and onions. The original says "grind everything using the coarse blade on the grinder." �I used my mandoline on the large julienne setting with an extra chop at the end.

Mix all ingredients and cook until soft, blended, and thick, about ninety minutes. Process and seal in sterilized jars.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

I have no idea how long you're processing it, but since it's 100% vinegar and has lots of sugar, as long as the mixture isn't too dry, it should be fine. The 90 minutes' cooking will acidify the low-acid ingredients as long as they're thoroughly mixed so the vinegar penetrates.

Carol

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 9:40PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree that it is safe just because it is a straight undiluted vinegar recipe and it is very close to the approved Tomato-Apple Chutney recipe.

This one is apparently intended as a fresh use recipe not a canning recipe but if processed for the standard chutney processing time of 10 min. it's fine.

Dave

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 10:09AM
michelelc

Yum the recipe linked to the Tomato Apple Chutney looks good. I might have to try this with my extra tomatoes! Has anyone tried it?

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 11:34AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Heaven knows I'll have enough tomatoes this year. I might try that one myself, but I think if I do I'll use cider vinegar and not worry about the darker color.

Carol

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 2:09PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I just reviewed the directions, which I had not looked at previously. Although you could leave the skins on the tomatoes, those I would peel.

Up to you.

Carol

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™