Carnosa getting too much sun?

hermie3rd(5)July 25, 2013

Hi All,

This is my first summer with my Carnosa. My mom gave it to me, from a cutting she planted. It's never bloomed for her, and when I first got it, I posted pics on here and someone suggested to me that the leaves were really dark, which indicated not enough light. I decided this summer to move it outside, and it is on the east side of my house, shaded by a lilac. I just wanted to post a couple of pictures to see if it is looking okay.

There were a few damaged leaves, I removed them. Other than that, it is producing long "shoots" which you can see in the picture as I've sort of intertwined them with a stick that is in the pot. Also, I've taken a picture of where you can see one of the new "shoots" with some reddish leaves.

Can you please let me know if my plant looks okay? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

Actually the reddish vines are common on new growth. Your plant really looks great. TFS

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 10:08PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

I've seen them get a bit washed out looking with a lot of sun. On the other hand they tend to bloom A LOT when in the full sun.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:39AM
nbgramma(5b)

Looks beautiful to me. One thing I have to caution is about dirt. Sounds crazy I know but when we moved south I put mine on the porch near a not too busy road. I was shocked to find out it had accumulated black road dirt. It can only be removed with alcohol and Q tips. I have been back north for 2 years now and still cleaning the dirt from my hoyas. They grow like weeds outside though so that is a plus.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:18AM
hermie3rd(5)

NB - Interesting. Mine is actually in between a lilac bush that shades it and my house. Our house is pretty far from the road, so I think it should be okay. But I will definitely keep an eye out for that!

Thanks for your input everyone! I had my hoya rope next to this guy, and it didn't fare so well in the shade. I don't know if maybe it was in a spot that it received dappled sunlight, because a lot of its leaves burned, which I have removed. It is producing new growth though, so I brought it back inside, cut off a few branches to re-root (just in case) and have it where it receives filtered light throughout the day. It was in the same spot before I moved it outside and doing well, so hopefully it makes a full recovery!

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
A little O.T., but relevant...
I've always been a little frustrated by the quandary...
denise_gw
Hoya" preatorii& "lasiantha.
Hello hoya lovers, I need some help on my recent purchase...
cara
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™