Has this ever happened to you? - BWB

2ajsmamaSeptember 21, 2011

Not a good day for jelly-making. I had a quart of grape juice (strained, even though I'm not finding tartar crystals), a quart of apple-grape (from cooking the grape jelly bag with apples later, per Farm journal Wild Grape Jelly recipe), and 3 C of apple pectin. Mixed all together (have a quart left) and did 2 batches of jelly. But one ring came totally off in the BWB the last 30 secs, lid floating around! Let it cool the 5 min, pulled the jars out, dumped that jar in with another 3C of juice for 2nd batch, emptied the BWB, did the 2nd batch (so only 7 jars total), went to dr, came home and found when I removed rings from 1st 3 jars that 2 looked like water (1/4" pretty clear - not weeping) on top even though they sealed. But they were jelled. So I just poured the liquid off, warmed the lids, warmed the jars (didn't dump the contents, I know, but couldn't see breaking the gel), processed 5 min with 5 min cooldown. Gotta keep an eye of those 2 jars (marked).

Maybe I didn't tighten the ring enough on the 1 jar, but not sure why I got water (? Or some separation?) on the tops of the other 2 jars that same batch. 4th jar looks fine. Plenty of headspace, wiped the rims. Made the same recipe (maybe more apples to grape ratio) last week and no problems. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

I have not totally lost a ring, just had them loose.
Sounds like weeping to me from too much acid in the jelly.
That is what happens, you get a watery looking liquid on top of the jelly and sometimes down the sides, too.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 12:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2ajsmama

I've had some weep (the blueberry-black currant from the bottled juice) after they set up, esp. after opening and putting in the fridge. Some rings seem to loosen in the canner or maybe when I was lifting them out, but this is the first time I've *ever* had one come off!

The liquid on top was very clear and the grape jelly was set, the clear liquid on the sealed jars pretty much totally filled the headspace which is why I'm thinking it was water?

Then again this batch was more grapes, fewer apples, and the apples were really tart. I'm going to have to see if the others are weeping - wouldn't there be some in all of them if that was it?

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
corn canning compound
I have heard about a compound made by the druggist...
grannyf
habanero gold question?
All the directions for habanero gold jelly call for...
jadeite
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Sponsored Products
Possini Euro Aluno Plug-In Style Swing Arm Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Isadora Single-Hole Bar and Kitchen Faucet
Signature Hardware
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Black Wall Mount Lantern with Clear Glass
$44.00 | Home Depot
3-Pc. Chicago Utensils Set
$12.99 | Dot & Bo
Strata Ceiling Fan
Lightology