My first peduncles?

Moosetrackz(9)July 18, 2011

I bought this Hoya, Krimson Princess I believe, last week at Home Depot. Id never seen such a nice big one at my HD before and the price was right so I couldnt pass it up. I already had Krimson Queen so why not make the family complete? lol

After I got it home I saw what look like peduncles. Are they? If they are how long does it usually take before they flower? Im kinda excited because Ive never had one bloom before and I love their flowers! :) So pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peduncles?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonwolf_gw

Hi Moosetrackz,

Welcome to the hoya forum! I am happy to tell you that your plant is a Krimson Princess and those are peduncles! Congrats! The buds do take some time to open but once they do, they last for quite some time. None of my carnosas have flowered yet (though I think I see peduncles on my plain old green carnosa). When it does bloom, enjoy! The flowers are awesome and wonderfully fragrant :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 5:41PM
Moosetrackz(9)

Yay! I cant wait for my beautiful flowers!

Thanks Brad! :)

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 5:58PM
greedygh0st

Congratulations, Moose. ^_^ When buds start forming on the peduncle, you'll be able to see a colored haze develop on the tip.

Sometimes, a Hoya forms a peduncle and then just sits there and never actually produces buds on it for years, but Krimson Princess is not a jerk, and I'm sure if you are in zone 9 your odds are high that you will have flowers before long. Are you in Florida? California? Maybe someone in your region can tell you how long it was for them.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 6:06PM
moonwolf_gw

You're welcome! Yes, do look for that haze on your peduncles! I have that right now on my carnosa and my fungii :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 6:21PM
Moosetrackz(9)

I live in SoCal near LA.

Ive heard that Krimson Princess is a fast grower compared to the Krimson Queen. Is that true?

My KQ doesnt have any peduncles but Im hoping for some. Maybe next spring or summer? Is that when they usually flower? Are the flowers on the Queen and Princess the same?

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
semi-hydro compared to gritty mix
EDIT Jan 28, 2015: this is an old thread, but I updated...
greentoe357
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™