Hoya Carnosa

Will07(5)July 2, 2014

My plant, probably 3 years old, still won't flower. I took her outside the other day to fertilize her and tie up the long vines. They were probably 3-4 feet long and I just wrapped them right around the pot. I've started using 10-52-10 and at some waterings a very mild solution of 10-15-10. In the winter she gets 15-15-18 once a month. She's always watered until the water drains out of the pot, the pot is between 6 and 7 inches. She gets sun most of the day but on one side so I have to turn her often usually once a week.
Any advice would be nice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

Just be patient, Will. I've found the carnosas, for me, take a long time to bloom. But it's worth the wait. Your plant looks spectacular, very happy, so it will bloom when it's ready. Just appreciate its beauty while it revs up, 'cuz it sounds like you are doing everything right!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 10:42PM
susancarol(7)

Great looking plant!

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 12:06PM
greedygh0st

If it were a solid carnosa, I would question it, but the variegated ones take longer in my experience. And 3 years for a Hoya grown indoors without supplemental light, is the minimum for many species. It does sound (and look) like you're doing everything right.

You will eventually get blooms doing what you're doing, but if you're feeling impatient, you should gradually increase the light. The more light a carnosa gets, the faster it progresses toward that goal. For example, Pepeuve in Malaga Spain, blooms them from cuttings in around 6 months. There's no reason for everyone to set that goal for their plants, but it does show what the plant is capable of in very high light. It always makes me feel better knowing that, if I get really frustrated, the solution with Hoyas is really that easy for 90% of them.

Source: Las "Hoyas" Malagueñas de Pepeuve

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 12:24PM
jjude2

I have a nbr. of hoya Carnosa I don't knpw name of all of them but I do know the varg, do take longer to bloom I bot 2 at the same time same size of rope hoya? Ones with curly leaves the green one is blooming great. Still no buds on the varg. but its so pretty.Mine get morning sun only. I love the blooms & they are good bloomers.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 2:31AM
More Discussions
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™