hvx?

ktrout(z6a, NE Kansas)May 19, 2012

Hi Folks - Does this look like HVX? This is in my mom's garden, so I'm not sure about the history on this plant yet. The second photo is a bit blurry; if you need better pics, please let me know, and I'll ask her to send another. Thanks!

ktrout

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ktrout(z6a, NE Kansas)

I'm still getting used to the image uploader, so here they are a little larger: From Hosta From Hosta

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:22AM
thisismelissa

Nope. I'd say Sunscorch or possibly frost. Eitherway, you can look up photos of HVX and none of them will look like that.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:51AM
ktrout(z6a, NE Kansas)

Awesome. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:54AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Wow you guys are up late. Actually the image uploader picture was better especially when you can zoom in on it. I think the closer you get to 250K, the better the image is. And Melissa is right, it's not HVX.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 6:45AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the brown leaf is nothing... but at 10 oclock.. the leaf just extending.. looks splotched.. as do others ... i dont know if its a camera trick..

on that first pic.. i can NOT rule out hvx ...

ken

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 6:59AM
ktrout(z6a, NE Kansas)

Hmmm, I'll get a couple more pictures of those other leaves and post them up today. Thanks for the feedback folks.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 8:43AM
ktrout(z6a, NE Kansas)

Here are some new pics. I do think it looks like HVX from the other images I've seen. I added two pics of another, much smaller hosta that had osme crinkled leaves too. Thanks for the help.

Here is a link that might be useful: New hosta pics

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:49AM
ogrefcf(5-6 UT)

Agreed, it does look like it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:04PM

yes.. its gotta go ..

the brown leaf has nothing to do with it.. other than to catch your attention and focus us on the real problem ...

and what the heck is that ugly fish??

ken

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:19PM
hostared(Z5, IL)

Agree with Ken....the second row the pic to the right is probably HVX. Where is Chris to confirm. But I'm sure it's infected. :(

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 2:05PM
Jon 6a SE MA

Kill the hosta first (with Roundup or generic Roundup) before you dig it out or you will certainly risk transmission to the hostas nearby.

The Hosta Library has this to say-
" It survives only in living plant tissue and dies without a host. " http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVX.htm
"The virus cannot survive without living plants, but it can remain in the roots until they decompose."
http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/200813b.html
" The primary route of infection of HVX is through propagation of infected plants. Secondary transmission is due to mechanical wounding a healthy, susceptible hosta and the subsequent introduction of sap from an HVX infected plant."
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/pdf/3069.pdf

Dead hostas cannot support HVX virus.

Jon

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 3:29PM

Good catch, Ken. I see it clearly in the new set of pictures. Both ink bleed and collapsed tissue symptoms.

Steve

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 4:01PM

on a saturday. in sunny MI.. one would presume that chris is making a living in his nursery.. not cruising the web..

whats the ugly fish?? .. it surely doesnt look like a trout ... and if it is.. its the ugliest darn trout i ever seen ...

ken

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 5:09PM

That's not an ugly fish, that's his toe.

Steve

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 5:23PM
ktrout(z6a, NE Kansas)

thanks for the confirmation everyone. I'll hit it with roundup and dig it out when it's dead dead dead. And find something non-hosta to put there, I suppose. That hosta has been in the garden for at least 5 years with no virus, and we haven't added any other hostas to that garden during that time, so it must have come in on tools. Ah well.

That gorgeous fish is a white sturgeon, from the SF Bay. There's something similar up in your neck of the woods Ken, the lake sturgeon. The one I have there is probably 30 years old and weighed around 80 pounds, but they get very old and enormous, upward of 1500 pounds in some cases. Crazy stuff!

Again, thanks for the help, even if the news was bad. I appreciate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lake Sturgeon

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
good to see spring in the uk
my grass still lots of work!fed it 3 times already..bloody...
uk-hostaman
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™