bare hoya vine question

ima_diggerJuly 29, 2011

I received a bare vine, meredithii x crassicaulis, with no leaves. It's a very young vine, dark in color. very pliable. Should this be potted stem down in pot, or should I lay it down around the soil in the pot? Will it send out leaves, or am I wasting my time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Bare vines are really tough to get to root and a young one will probably give you trouble as well. I think there is more potential for a young vine to photosynthesize and provide food than a woody one but it's still unlikely to root.
I guess you could try to water root it because at least that's easy to keep an eye on and discard if you see it's not working.

Mike

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 6:23PM
ima_digger

Thanks Mike. I posted on another hoya forum, and it was suggested to add 1/4 teasp sugar to quart of water. And water with it. I'm ready to try anything. If it doesn't work, I'll have to ask for another cutting. LOL

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 8:47AM
aveo5

My simple old 'Silver Pink' is constantly putting out those long long bare vines, and when I knew nothing at all about hoyas, I just cut them off and threw them out. Now I let them grow a few feet, and IF I get an umble, then I obviously keep it, and THEN it puts out leaves after it blooms. I dont know why to this day why it does this. BUT I have rooted some of these 'bare stem cuttings' in plain water, but they had on them what I call 'root nubs' or the beginning of aerial roots? Once they hit water, they rooted and put out leaves. (I did cut the tip off, to make it stop growing longer, and hopefully put out roots.) That might help. I dont know.I am FAR from an expert, I need help with my current rooting issue, but hey, give water a shot! I think soil is not the way to go,for now. My 2 cents.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
semi-hydro compared to gritty mix
EDIT Jan 28, 2015: this is an old thread, but I updated...
greentoe357
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™