canning peaches with skin on?

westmontcoSeptember 3, 2011

So we were canning peaches the other day and the question came up - Since I eat my peaches without peeling them, is there any reason to peel them before canning them?

I notice apricots seem to always be canned without peeling the fuzzy skin off, but peaches say to peel them. Is it because the have more fuzz? When we wash them we rub them to knock off most of the fuzz.

In the end we did can one pint (out of 21 quarts) with slices that had the skin left on to try them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimnginger

I never peel my peaches when canning them.
Jim in So Calif

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 1:57AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I honestly can't imagine canning my peaches without peeling them. The peeling is the primary source of any bacteria and/or contaminants so that is why it is included in the canning instructions. But the main thing for me is that the appearance of the peeling in the jars would really put me off.

To each his own.

Dave

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 11:35AM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

You can do it, but it does add to the bacteria level for sure.
I cannot imagine eating them canned with the peel just for the feel of them, either.

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 12:39PM
jimnginger

And yet the fuzzy skin of a canned apricot is different????
Jim in So Calif

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 1:57AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No but then peeling would be preferred too. I do.

That's why unpeeled raw pack gets 5 mins more processing time than peeled do. BBB gives you the option but NCHFP says "unpeeled makes poor quality apricots".

Dave

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 8:55AM
westmontco

Thanks for the responses. They don't look bad in the jar, but they do look different. It's not that I prefer to eat peaches with skin on, but I don't feel like peeling a peach every time I want to eat one and since I don't mind them raw that way I wondered if there was a "real" reason rather than texture.

Bacteria sounds like a good reason, but yeah I always wondered about the difference between apricots and peaches for skin on/off.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 12:21AM
westmontco

Tried the pint of slices with skin on. Canning makes the skin tougher. No fuzz problem, but the skin is definitely tougher than raw.

I think we'll peel them all in the future. I think apricots must have a thinner peel.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Canning lard
After much research I read that pure, rendered lard...
lana_lang
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™