Real canning recipe, wrong yield

headquireSeptember 8, 2012

With a bumper crop of tomatillos, we thought we'd put up some salsa verde. We followed this recipe to the letter...

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html

...but after simmering for 20 minutes, it only yielded about 3 pints! How can I tell if the product will keep safely?

The recipe states that green tomatoes are an acceptable substitute for tomatillos. That makes me wonder if maybe this recipe was developed and tested using green tomatoes, which have *way* more water than tomatillos. I can't imagine substituting one for the other in equal volume and getting a similar yield.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tangrene(7)

Well I am sort of amazed that the recipe states that it makes "about" 5 pints since the bulk of the other items cook down to almost nothing.

I am equally amazed that you need 1 cup of lemon juice, so that means you basically got 1/3 cup of juice per jar!!!
No thanks for me. I'd rather freeze a less acidic type of salsa than to use that much lemon juice with my tomatillos cause they are tart enough for me as is.

I understand why they add that much lemon juice...

I don't know about you...but I prefer larger batches recipes if they can be had anymore.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 1:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
headquire

The flavor is actually pretty good. I'm not sure if it's the multitude of onions balancing it out or what, but it's not too sour at all. It's really tasty. But will it keep? When a recipe turns out with a yield that's way off like this, do you still trust it?

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™