Perlite with Miracle Grow for rooting?

therealmrsdoodlepunk(5)July 9, 2009

I bought a bag of perlite today and now see that it has Miracle Grow in it! I was going to dip my hoya cuttings in rooting hormone and use the perlite to root them in, but now wonder if it's a good idea to use this Miracle Grow stuff. I normally don't put it on my plants and would not have bought this if I had realized what it had in it.

This is for the sick lacunosa that I'm soaking in sugar water right now, at least soaking the cuttings. I suppose I could keep them in water until I can get something else to use for rooting. Unless the MG stuff is OK? Or should I put them right into my potting medium - which is orchid bark and spaghnum and perlite?

The only hoya I have ever rooted is the one cutting I got from my mother of her carnosa. So I'm sort of afraid of doing the wrong thing. This whole soaking and rooting stuff is really new to me.

I loved this little lacunosa and am sad that it's dying on me. It's the droopy type with thinner leaves and it was just "cute". It had lots of blooms and I always loved the smell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

Sorry to hear your lacunosa has been having problems. I find it kind of hard to root. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for an EA lacunosa to replace yours with. They're big and cheap...

But, I understand your wish to salvage some of the one you had. I wouldn't worry too much about the Miracle Grow in the perlite. A cutting can't take up nutrients, so it doesn't really matter if there are nutrients there or not. When it's ready to take them up, it will. But I don't really think there's enough there to make much difference...

Good luck!
Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
A little O.T., but relevant...
I've always been a little frustrated by the quandary...
denise_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™