USF Hoya's

wanna_run_fasterJuly 18, 2014

Hello Everyone!

Does anyone happen to have a list of hoyas at USF? I picked up a couple at the Butterfly garden plant sale last month and a couple at the Tropical Plant sale last week. Beautiful healthy specimens, well-labeled and well, have got me all excited about Hoyas again. I'm planning on working on re-establishing my collection and would love to work from a list if there is such a thing for the USF Hoya collection.

Thnx,

Helen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rennfl

Have you thought about asking USF if they have a list? I would think they would know best.

Honestly, I'm in the USF area quite often, I didn't even know they had a Hoya collection. Is it public? Can you let me know where exactly at USF it is?

Renee

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:14AM
wanna_run_faster

Hi Renee,

I tried to get a list during the sale but I guess it wasn't a good time :) I figured my fellow addicts at GW might be better source :)

They have a table in the garden plant shop. During the tropical plant sale, they had maybe 20 or 30 varieties for sale. I have never been there except during a plant sale so I am not sure if the garden plant shop is open other times.

if you join as a member, you can get into the sales early and even enjoy a 10% discount at the plant shop :)

I'll post some pictures in a moment

Helen

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:49AM
wanna_run_faster

One of my new USF hoyas.

Is there anyway to upload more than one picture into GW at a time?

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:56AM
rennfl

Helen,

I was rethinking this, and first I probably should double check USF is University of S. Florida in Tampa?

If so, I live south of there, but I'm up in the Tampa area quite often, and I can help you get restarted with Hoyas. I've got quite a few in my yard. Send me an email through gardenweb if you would like.

As for posting more than one photo per thread, it can be done, but you have to use a photo hosting site, like flickr, photobucket, imgur or something similar and link the pics instead of actually loading them.

Renee

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 1:18PM
greentoe357

Whaaaa? A LOCAL (non-online) vendor with 20-30 hoya varieties for sale at one time? Have I died and gone to heaven?

Post more pics, please (you can do what Renee says, or just reply to this thread multiple times and attach a new picture each time). Or just post the names that were for sale maybe. (I am not in Florida, but still...) How much did they charge for these plants?

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 11:48AM
wanna_run_faster

Hi Renee! I'm East of Tampa. That's a very sweet offer. Hopefully we can get together one of these days and compare lists!

Lol, Greentoe, I'll take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. Most were the more common varieties. USF plant shop sells their hoyas for $7 I think plus you get off a 10% member discount if you join the USFBG's. You can see these are nice well established plants too. Another great place is Gardino's (rare flora.com). I used to have about 20 varieties but am starting completely over now and have only 5. Right now I'm being drawn to big leaves and big flowers lol

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:38PM
greentoe357

$7 is a really good price for a rooted plant. Good find! Brooklyn Botanic Garden or NYBG stores did not have any hoyas beyond carnosa last time I checked.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
rooting in semi-hydro media
I am going to try rooting my next batch of cuttings...
greentoe357
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
succulent leafed hoyas
Would love to know from all of you which hoyas have...
pal123
Hoya" preatorii& "lasiantha.
Hello hoya lovers, I need some help on my recent purchase...
cara
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™