flowers

cpawl(8)July 23, 2013

Look what I found this morning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

Pretty! What Hoya is that? It is very elegant.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 9:40PM
cpawl(8)

Its H.thomsonii

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 10:30PM
kathi_mdgd

Very pretty
Kathi

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 10:41PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

Very nice! I want a surprise like that!

Laura

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 12:34PM
amber_m(5)

beautiful! do they have a scent?

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 9:46AM
Klea(4b)

So beautiful! And they smell so lovely too, don't you think? :) Congratulations!

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 7:37PM
cpawl(8)

Thanks guys,this is a first time bloomer for me since getting a cutting a few years ago.
I like the smell of the one flower,it fills the whole greenhouse in the morning but if it had tons of open flowers at the same time it would be to much.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 11:31PM
moonwolf_gw

Royal Flush opened it's first peduncle. How I missed the fragrance of a lacunosa!

From a distance. You can see a second peduncle on the left.

Also, while I didn't get a picture of it, I did find my first peduncle on my Ruby Sue!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 1:45AM
denise_gw

Pretty flowers!! My thompsonii has yet to bloom, but I still love it for its super-fuzzy leaves. Does your's get quite a bit of light?

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 1:20PM
cpawl(8)

Denise I have this hoya on my east wall of the greenhouse,it was covered in blooms but they all yellowed and fell off after I moved it out to the greenhouse.I have all my hoyas growing S/H and this one gets lots of water.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 7:57PM
teisa(6)

Hi I've tried S/H, however my cutting rotted. Would you mind explaining or posting what type of container you set your plant down in? I saw a picture where the wholes were drilled in side and bottom of cup. But how much water is in your cup you set that down in?

Thanks so much!

-Teisa

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 6:14AM
greedygh0st

The idea behind S/H is that there is water in the bottom of the container, but not in the upper part, where the cutting and its primary root system are. So, it doesn't really matter what kinds of containers you use as long as you keep in mind that the main plant should be above the water line. So, it doesn't matter how much water is in the reservoir - just enough that you will be able to refill it before it runs bone dry - and not so much that the plant is aquatic. :)

That's how a lot of people use glass containers with no holes in them. They just don't fill them all the way up with water when they change out the water reservoir. I have a 12" glass container I use in this way. Whenever I have a plant that seems to be struggling or damaged, I take a cutting and stick it in there. There are always several cuttings rooting in it and I think they help each other out.

Usually the cuttings extend some roots all the way down into the water anyway, but those roots have a slightly different structure and will die off if you transplant the cutting into soil.

I think, if yours rotted, you might not have been doing anything wrong - it could have just been a weak cutting or some bad luck with infection. So, I would say try it again, and don't be afraid to experiment with your own containers/setup. I believe it to be a very flexible method.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
The secret to successfully growing flagellata?
Okay, so for the past couple of weeks, it has been...
aurorawa
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™