Greentoe talked me into it!!!

teisa(6)July 31, 2014

I found this Curtsii while I was in Florida a few weeks ago. I had planned on never growing this Hoya because I couldn't get it to bloom. But I decided to give it another try! It was a nice full basket atleast....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greedygh0st

lol!!

Good job, GT.

Good job, Teisa.

I personally think curtisii is one of the more ornamental Hoyas and we're lucky to have it. :)

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:49PM
denise_gw

I agree, GG. If it never blooms but continues to do well for me, I will be a happy camper. This is my 3rd (or is it 4th?) try at it and it's done well for a year or so. I think it's sweet, like a calico cat.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:13PM
greentoe357

I will not stand idly by as baseless accusations that I had anything to do with it are hurled at... Oh who am I kidding! You are welcome! ;-)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 4:51AM
moonwolf_gw

I saw a curtisii for sale at my local Wal-Mart last month. It was a good size, too, but it's one I don't think I'll ever grow, because fussy plants and I don't get along lol. Great find, teisa! And hey, what's the use of growing Hoyas if we all can't encourage each other to try a new one?

Greentoe, lol I would say the same thing you said if I gave a friend a plant or got them into gardening (and I'm guilty of both of those).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:35PM
patrick51(5)

H. curtisii is one of the best of the hoyas...it's not really fussy, but likes to be watered heavily and then allowed to dry out. I have two of this hoya...both are EA plants..and both are in EA soil...and have been for 6+ years. I did get peduncles a few times, but no blooms, unless they're so small that I missed them...which I doubt. I have one of mine outdoors this summer...it's doing very well with an hour or so of sunlight...I'm hoping for blooms again. Of my over 500 hoyas, this is one of the top 10 for sure...it's always so neat and tidy..and the leaves are beautiful. C'mon, give it a fair try!! Go for it, Brad!! Fondly, Patrick

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:07PM
greentoe357

> over 500 hoyas

wow. Over 500 plants or over 500 varieties? I have 129 varieties, dischidias included - I'll try to work harder on this thing...

I also find curtisii a very undemanding plant, Brad, when it comes to growing it, NOT when it comes to blooming it though.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:19PM
moonwolf_gw

Hmm, maybe I'll have to pick one up the next time I see one. I think another reason I've avoided it is because I am drawn to Hoyas that flower easily, or are old favorites. I just might have to put it on the list of ones to try. That is, once I have the financial sources to.

Still on the hunt for a few old favorites for myself and a friend (GG, I've sent you and Denise e-mails).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 3:53PM
susancarol(7)

I've seen this hoya a lot lately in Wal-Mart but although it is really cute, I have had no luck with it.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 11:54AM
gardensnail22

I had great luck with it but has slowed down. Think it needs repotting. Good Luck

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 6:42PM
patrick51(5)

Jimminies, Gardensnail...that's incredible!! Any secrets you care to share with us? I love it!! Fondly, Patrick

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 6:55PM
gardensnail22

Hi Patrick, Nothing special, just VF-11 with ever watering. West window but there is a porch and big tree blocking some of the harsh sun. Very pot bound. This is an old picture, huge now! I love the leaves :)

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 7:09PM
cooljjay(Page, AZ)

WOW hope mine gets loaded with buds, like that one! I didn't think the flowers would be so big compared to the leaves. I have had mine for maybe 5 weeks....as with others, mine is a EA one.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 2:02AM
vermonthoyas

Yes, indeed Hoya curtisii does bloom. After four years of trying, here is the result:

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 7:53AM
greentoe357

Yay congrats Doug! So, what do you think convinced it to bloom?

Bookmark   September 15, 2014 at 4:16PM
vermonthoyas

Lots and Lots of sun! I put up a series of shepherd's crooks around the yard, and when ever I was home I would move the plant from crook to crook chasing the sun. I also sprayed the foliage with the hose when I had it out.

Bookmark   September 15, 2014 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Wrinkly leaves
Some of the leaves on my new Hoya carnose 'Krimson...
bunnygurl
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
The secret to successfully growing flagellata?
Okay, so for the past couple of weeks, it has been...
aurorawa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™