It bloomed!

zzackey(8b GA)October 17, 2013

My Frangipani is blooming! It has a pink and yellow swhirl. I was surprised. I though they had to be alot bigger to flower. No fragrance. I have kinda neglected it this summer because of my shoulder problem . It hasn't gotten it's normal watering that I usually give it every year. It is under a roof. It has gotten some rain water if the wind blows it in. I 'm wondering if it is blooming because I neglected it, or is this how they want to be treated? Sorry no photo, My photo manager is acting up.

and almost everythingets rain water from our very wet summer. This plant is in the greenhouse that still has the roof left on it. It got watered a few times by me or when the wind blew the rain in the greenhouse. All the sides are down on the greenhouse. feet tall pot and all. It first bloom is a pink and yellow swirl combination. It has no fragrance. Do they only have fragrance early in the morning? Any growing tips would be appreciated. It is just a single stem now. I leave it in a slightly heated green house for the winter. We only run the heat if necessary. I want to get away from using the greenhouse as just an area for my plants to winter over and save it to use as a seed starter house with heat instead. Can I bring the Frangipani into my bright and humid bathroom where I have happy orchids and other plants growing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coffeemom(Broward z10)

Congrats! Once it blooms, it branches. That's the good news. Here in S. Florida the plumies go dormant for the winter meaning they drop all their leaves and look like sticks. So you could keep it in the bathroom but it's not necessary.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 10:50PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Noticing your post was @ night? If so, check for fragrance during daylight hours - you may be rewarded.....

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:12AM
zzackey(8b GA)

We get lots of frosts and some freezes here. I don't think it will survive outside here.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:18AM
leahrenee1(z9FL)

They can survive a freeze, but will not bloom on new growth so you will prob want to keep it somewhere above freezing, if you keep it in a warm bright bathroom it may not go dormant.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 11:24AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I'm wishy washy about heating the greenhouse this winter. We have no idea how much it is costing us. Most plants in there don't cost very much or we got them at a swap. I hate to kill anything, but if it is alot of money to heat them, I'm losing money. I could just buy new ones in the spring. I like to not do it for one year and see what the difference is. Most of the plants can come inside for the winter or find a new home with a friend.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:16PM
morningloree(9b)

Lucky you, my plumerias have 2 modes, sticks or sticks with leaves. I keep them on the patio and try to protect from cold by covering them. They have gotten too heavy for lugging around. Amazing what a stick in a pot weighs!

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:29PM
stuartwanda(N. Stuart)

You know you can store your Plumeria bare root? Store in the house or garage and plant in the spring. I dug one up and threw it under an awning and planted that next spring and it lived.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:17AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I'd rather just keep it in the pot. I've had it for 6 years. I never thought it would bloom for me. Maybe your's will bloom next year?

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
African Queen
I started 5 seeds over a week ago and so far have 1...
garf_gw
Legal issues with using trademarked materials for breeding projects?
I don't really see a 'legal' or 'law' forum on here....
xentar_gw
Would like to try growing roses.
I have a place in front of my home where I would like...
marilyn_fl
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Central Florida garden sites?
Hey all, I'm posting the lessons I learn on my central...
Dunning
Sponsored Products
Petals in Turquoise I Wall Art
Grandin Road
DENY Designs Khristian A Howell Cape Town Blooms Duvet Cover - 13001-DUWKIN
$199.00 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Urban Bloom Beige 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Acanthus Planter
The City Farm
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Blooms
Home Depot