Mold on the Outside of my Jars

skeipSeptember 5, 2009

I did stewed tomatoes last summer, all corect procedures, processing, acidulation, etc. The contents of the jars look fine, but now I am noticing some small patches of fuzzy mold on the OUTSIDE of the jars, up around where the rings would have been, but not onto the lid itself. They have been stored in a basement root cellar, never gets above 65 degrees. Is this a biohazard, or if I wipe off the outside with a bleach solution are they safe to use? I hate to loose them, but they aren't worth dieing over!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

I'm assuming there was some minor siphoning during the canning process. Did you wash and dry the jars before storage? It's very important to be sure rings are removed and jars are clean before shelving.

Carol

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 11:49PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

I always rinse off my jars after they have cooled. Usually such thngs dissolve in the boiling water bath, unless there was some contamination leaking into the water from the jars. You can rinse and wipe off with a weak solution of water and a little bleach. I must assume that the lids were new and and are all concave with the button indented in the center, which indicates a vacuum inside.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 12:16AM
coffeehaus(7a Central VA)

I would just wipe it off with a bleach solution, as you suggested.
I used to have this problem frequently with my canned whole tomatoes (PC processed). While I don't think it's dangerous, it is certainly not desirable. Now, after my jars have rested overnight, I remove the rings and give each jar a "bath" in a bleach solution as mentioned above. Let the solution dry, date the lid and store in a cool, dry place. Since I have been doing this, no fuzzy mold!

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 8:05AM
skeip

Thanks to all for the info. I am continually amazed by the amount of good, usable advice and KNOWLEDGE on this site!! Thanks again.

Steve

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 4:25PM
annie1992

I agree, wipe them off with a weak bleach solution and they should be fine.

I always take the rings off my jars before storage and wipe them well to present mold and because if I leave the rings on they seem to "cement" themselves to the jars or rust and I can't get 'em off!

good thing that's what the instructions say I should do. Plus, I reuse those rings several times during a canning season.

Annie

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™