cardinal flower

ellix(augusta ga)February 28, 2009

Working around my pond I found that a couple of the old cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) bloom stalks had fallen over into the pond over the winter. I found well rooted little plants growing all up and down the stalk where the blooms once were. I transplanted them in bog areas around the pond. Next year I will be sure to bend the stalks into the water on purpose to increase my supply even more.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

Cool! I never knew this.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 5:06PM
ctnchpr

That's a great discovery!! I'm going to try it next Winter, too. I guess we can call it 'water layering'?

For any of you hummernuts that want a hummer magnet, this is it. IMO, it's the perfect plant - a native perennial, non-invasive, easy to start from seeds, easily transplanted, long bloom period. And that red could be used to calibrate a spectrometer!! The dormant rosettes survive better if overwintered under water rather than being exposed to the freeze/thaw cycles above ground. These are happy in this small galvanized tub...

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 4:52PM
mimidi(z8)

Amazing. I have tried this flower twice and lost it both times. It really needs a damp spot to grow doesn't it.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 4:58PM
ctnchpr

mimidi, An easy way to grow them is by creating a mini-wetland garden: dig a shallow hole (6" is deep enough), line it with a piece of pond liner or plastic, backfill with soil to within 1" of the surrounding grade, plant, fill with water. This can be incorporated into a larger bed and the edge of the liner can be covered by mulch or stones. Every 2-3 weeks, feed them with 1 gal of dilute Miracle-Gro.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 9:42PM
sudimari(z5 IN)

Okay...I'm stuck with patio only...no planing in ground allowed. Would I be able to convert this into a watering tray do ya think? (Either clay or plastic...the kind that is designed to go with a pot)? I had several hummers last year out front & out back (not sure I think 2 different families)...would like to give them more than just the birdfeeders to eat from.

Suz

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:12AM
ctnchpr

Yes, this can be adapted to any watertight container that's at least 5-6" deep.

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™