Plant ID, please

alys_esmond(9b Orlando)October 5, 2012

This stinky flowering vine is growing all over the front porch and garden of the home one of my clients is in contract to purchase.

Does anyone know what it is?

It smells kind of somewhere between old feet and ripe drains. (Lovely, I know!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alys_esmond(9b Orlando)

And,
here's the picture!

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:30PM
wanda9fl

It's a skunk vine. Sorry, don't know how to add a link.

The following from invasive.org

Overview
Skunk vine is a perennial, climbing or trailing vine that can grow to 30 ft. (9.1 m) long. Plants originate from a woody root-stock and can invade natural and disturbed areas of Hawaii and the southeastern United States. The opposite leaves are up to 4.5 in. (11.4 cm) long, lance-shaped, often lobed at the base, and on petioles up to 2.5 in. (6.4 cm) long. The stems and leaves have a strong, unpleasant odor when crushed, giving this plant its name. Flowering occurs in late summer to fall, when small, pink or lilac flowers occur in clusters, either terminally or in leaf axils. Fruit are nearly-round, shiny, brown and up to 0.3 in. (0.7 cm) wide. Skunk vine has the potential to invade a large variety of disturbed and high quality habitats. Currently, it is widespread in Florida and in small areas of other southeastern states and Hawaii. Trailing infestations can completely cover and kill low-growing plants and small shrubs. Climbing infestations can strangle even large trees and restrict light availability to species below. Skunk vine is native to Asia and was first introduced into the United States before 1897 as a potential fiber plant.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 8:11AM
katkin_gw

It is considered a class 1 invasive in Fl and they need to do what ever it takes to get rid of it. Round Up's brush killer should do the trick. :o)

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:26AM
alys_esmond(9b Orlando)

well it certainly is the kind of weed that encourages one to want to eradicate it!

I wonder if it still stinks once it's been round-upped?

Alys

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:30AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I have mine in a pot and think it's one of the prettiest vines I grow, albeit smelly.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™