What does an immature Olive Bailey Langdon hosta look like?

donna_in_saskMay 7, 2012

I have two bare rooted OBL hostas started in pots and they have leafed out to a solid green. Should I assume that I got mislabeled hostas?

A couple more questions: should we assume that ALL bare root hostas that originate from Holland are at risk of HVX? Is it possible for a hosta to leaf out perfectly and then develop the diseased leaves later (without being exposed to another hosta)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I've seen OBL with very thin margins as a young plant, but not without margins. It's a little early if it doesn't have margins in another month, then you've got a dud. Where did you buy it?

I would say all are at risk, but certainly not all Hosta from Dutch growers will have HVX. It's possible that the symptoms can not be visible for as much as three years with some young plants. But it's not possible for a Hosta to develop this disease without exposure to diseased sap from another Hosta at some point in its life.

Steve

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 6:34AM
Babka NorCal 9b

All the hostas I order online come with bare roots...no soil. The soil just adds weight to the package. Also you get to see that you are getting nice white healthy roots. It is a "good thing". My OBL has always had margins, even when young.

-Babka

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:00PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

OBL looks like this from back in 2006,when it was first planted. It is the small greenish one just to the right and down from the larger gold Fried Bananas,and yes,even a young one is variegated. As to whether it is variegated when it first comes up,it doesn't show variegation until a little later. Take a look. Phil

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:41PM
frostynyc(7)

Hosta_freak, a little off topic, but what's the very white-centered plant on the center-right side of this picture?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 2:44PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

To tell you the truth,Frosty,I don't remember! I think it has gone to the great hosta garden in the sky,because that plant is no longer there. I went back and reviewed my pics,and I think it was Morning Light,which used to grow good,but as white-centered plants go,it just faded away. That's as far as I remember. I've slept since then! Lol! Phil

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 3:21PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Donna,I went back and found a pic of my OBL from 2006,when it was first planted. You could hide it under one leaf of the present plant! Phil

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 3:30PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

and a current pic of OBL Phil

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 3:53PM
donna_in_sask

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it, especially Phil for posting the pictures. I think mine is mislabeled; there is no variegation at all, only green. I bought it as a hosta garden collection through Costco online. I know I can return it for my money back, but I do like the other hostas that came with it.

I know it is risky to buy it this way, but I have not been able to source this one locally. My Frances WIlliams bit the dust a while back and I had read that OBL was an improved version. For what it's worth, all the hostas are in great condition and are thriving under the lights right now, just wished they were more careful about their labeling...Grr.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 4:09PM
donna_in_sask

I spoke too soon...I think there is a subtle variegation happening at the edges of the largest leaves. Perhaps not mislabeled after all...How far away should I plant these new hostas from the ones in my garden until I can be sure they aren't diseased?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:51PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Donna,

Instead of Costco, try Goldenbrook Hosta. I'm sure they'll ship to Saskatchewan. I'm know they have OBL and hundreds more. Plus you know their plants are safe from disease and nematodes.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Goldenbrook Hostas

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Engraved Labels
Anyone know where I can buy engraved markers? Westy...
westy1941
refresh my memory on something different
does it green.. or center out .. later in the summer...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
need help for my yard
I need ideas for this boring yard. Southeast PA, West...
carol0512
17 Up
Signs of life from the last pot of my first three year's...
santamiller
Sponsored Products
Eurofase Vortex 3-Light Satin Nickel Track Kit
Euro Style Lighting
George Kovacs Convex 7" High Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Home Decorators Area Rug: Palm Grove Oolong Tea 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Franklin Leather Chair - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Large Oval Tray
$275.00 | Horchow
Solvie Side Chairs - Set of 2
Ballard Designs
Dreamweaver Wall Sconce by Varaluz
$109.00 | Lumens
ACF by Nameeks ACF PH02-GW Phinex 32-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Glossy Whi
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™