coral honeysuckle

cs7580(zone 7 TN)February 5, 2007

When would it be best to start looking for coral honeysuckle to buy? Can I find it at Low's or Walmart? I'll be putting it a 3'x 3' spot. How much do I need to get? I'm putting it on a 6' tower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

You might possibly find it at WalMart or Lowes but I have only found the hybrids. I ordered mine from Mail Order Natives two years ago. The price of the plant including the shipping was cheaper than what I would pay for any vine locally. They don't take up much ground space but they do like to climb. I would think that one plant would be sufficient once it starts to grow and spread out its arms. Each year it will get fuller. Just an FYI...mine reached 10 ft. tall the first year but you can keep them on shorter structures without a problem.

Penny

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 2:04PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

That I would wait until at least the end of March or early April...It will make a nice birthday present to yourself.

Penny

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 2:07PM
mimidi(z8)

Mine came for Mail Order Natives too. Very pleased with plants ordered from Amy.

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 3:22PM
susan82(So. CA)

I live in So. Ca., and it took me three tries before I found the one I wanted. I purchased mine at a nursery called Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano, and it is in full bloom! The one I bought is called Magnifica. Very healthy
and bushy. Best of luck!

~Susan

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 8:01PM
greg2007

Ordered mine last week on the 3/8 from Mail Order Native and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow on the 14th.
Also ordered a Alabama Crimson and a Tangerine Beauty.

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 9:38AM
tess_tx

I bought one at a local nursery last weekend...I'm guessing it would depend on your location.

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 10:38AM
dhickey389(z5 NE IL)

I left the vine alone this past fall, did not cut it back to the ground, but did protect it with mulch since I'm in Zone 5. Do I need to cut it back this spring or just leave it alone ?
Thanks for any replies.

Dennis

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 11:59AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Dennis you can trim back any damaged or dead vines after it starts to grow again but that is all you really need to do. I would wait until it leafs out and then remove only what is necessary to make it look good.

Penny

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 5:31PM
dhickey389(z5 NE IL)

Thanks Penny.

Dennis

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 2:55PM
LindaMarie2Liquidus_comcast_net

Does Coral Honeysuckle have a fragrance? And can I bring cutting into the house in a vase?

Thank You, Ms.LindaMarie

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 2:50PM
greenthumbzdude

No, coral honeysuckle does not have a fragrance. The Japanese variety is the one with the fragrance but they are so invasive, they just about everywhere I look. There are hybrids however like 'goldflame' that smell and are sterile so it wont spread around. I believe mail order natives has them for like 6 bucks.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 6:05PM
ssmilford_bellsouth_net

Is late May too late to plant coral honeysuckle?

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 6:37PM
hummersteve

I also recieved mine from mail order natives. I found it to be a very much loved vine by the hummers, that is once it gets mature and starts flowering.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™