crock pickles... now what?

simplicitygardens(z8 pacific N.W.)October 25, 2010

I have a crock of pickles I've been fermenting for almost 5 weeks. I've snitched a few out along the way to monitor the progress. They taste good, maybe a little saltier than I'd like, but have nice texture and smell yummy as well.

My questions: 1.Do I have to process these? My understanding is that the health benefits of a fermented food will be wasted if I do. Could I just refrigerate them now? 2.Should I add new brine to bring the level of liquid back up and take the weight out (they're still submerged but it is getting low) 3.If do refrigerate could I just cover the crock with the lid or should they be transfered into sterlized jars? 4. Is there any way I can make them less salty? I probably have about 3 quarts total.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Abhaya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

From the NCHFP guidelines on Fermenting:

Fully fermented pickles may be stored in the original container for about 4 to 6 months, provided they are refrigerated and surface scum and molds are removed regularly. Canning fully fermented pickles is a better way to store them. To can them, pour the brine into a pan, heat slowly to a boil, and simmer 5 minutes. Filter brine through paper coffee filters to reduce cloudiness, if desired. Fill jar with pickles and hot brine, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process as recommended in Table 1 , or use the low-temperature pasteurization treatment described below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermenting Pickles NCHFP

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™