Propagating Sea Grape

watermelon7(9 - 10)October 11, 2008

I heard you can propagate sea grapes nearly as easily as plants like Gumbo Limbo by just sticking the in dirt. Is that true? Any sea grape propagation tips? I would rather go without rooting hormones.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fawnridge(10A)

Sea Grape - Coccoloba uvifera - is a Florida native and will propagate very easily. Let the seeds dry out and then plant them their own depth in soil. If you don't want to wait, visit a local park and look for seedlings under a mature tree.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 6:45AM
minibim(FL z10)

Any where you see a sea grape, you will see a gazillion seedlings. I have 2 sea grapes and believe me, I would not purposely plant them. Mine are old trees from when the house was built.

The grapes are messy, they stink, it's a pain in the butt to walk through them, the iguanas love them and crap the seeds everywhere, the seedlings pop up everywhere.....

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 8:15AM
watermelon7(9 - 10)

How about from cuttings? Will they produce the grapes it I have two cuttings, from the same tree, of will I need each from a different plant, genetically?

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 9:53AM
fawnridge(10A)

Why bother with cuttings? The seeds will germinate faster than cuttings will form roots. And no, you don't need two different plants to get grapes. By the way, the grapes are edible. Although, they taste just this side of styrofoam.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 9:56AM
watermelon7(9 - 10)

How long does it take to mature, if you grow them from seeds?

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 10:02AM
fawnridge(10A)

Mature to what? A 20' tree or a seedling? I've seen them grow several feet in a year, but that depends on their environment.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 10:45AM
watermelon7(9 - 10)

Mature to growing edible, normal sized, fruit.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 12:12PM
fawnridge(10A)

For most of us, edible will never happen. However, they will usually start producing grapes anywhere from 2 to 3 years from seedlings.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 12:38PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

I love my seagrapes! & yes! I agree seeds are the easiest way to propagate them.Look for seedlings & carefully dig them up & pot them.

The fruit is VERY yummy, tho very thin-fleshed - & problematically, the fruits fall off when fully ripe(dark, plump & soft)
& they ripen individually, so it's difficult to harvest any significant number @ 1 time = (

However, I've been grazing on mine lately (what I can reach)
& I probly look like a nutcase to passersby = J

& those pesky fallen fruits don't sprout very much if you let the fallen leaves remain in place.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: SeaGrape @ Floridata.com

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 1:21PM
junkyardgirl

Sea grapes make wonderful jelly and jam. I don't much like them right off the bush either.

They will probably take about 2-3 years to have fruit when grown from a cutting of a mature plant. Hope that answers your questions.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 4:43PM
minibim(FL z10)

This is a gravel area around my tool shed. Of course, you can't see much of the gravel because of the sea grapes....

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™