Do systemic insecticides poison the nectar of flowers?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasFebruary 5, 2008

There is a discussion on the Texas Garden Forum about the use the systemic insecticides. The question arose on whether it poisoned the nectar and pollen of the flowers as well as the leaves. I thought you folks might know the answer to that. Have there been any studies done on it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would say yes. If the s.i. gets into the leaves and the fruit of a plant, why not the necture. But I am not positive. Because hummers are so small, it would take only a small amount of any pesticide to harm them, I would error on the side of caution.

    Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Thank you lynxville.

    Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

The question was posted to several forums and I thought perhaps you all might be interested in the collected replies:

~ ~ ~

Since the insecticide would be translocated to all parts of the plant logic says that it would also be in the pollen and nectar. I am aware of one study, done in Europe, that did look at what affect systemic insecticides would have on bees and traces of the insecticide used were found in the honey in the hives.

~ ~ ~

What a good question! Yes, there have been studies. Systemics can be translocated to nectar and pollen. As a matter of fact, just about all parts of plants can be contaminated. They've shown, even, that plants treated with systemics can harm leaf cutter bees as they gather their little cuttings for nests. They're exposed to plant sap when making their perfect little circles, and their brood is exposed, too.

The two commonly used pesticides that I've read about are imidicloprid (which Bayer seems to be putting in everything these days) and acephate (which is in Orthene).

~ ~ ~

Systemic insecticides and fungicides are meant to pass throughout the plants vascular system to all parts of plants. Insects, mites and larvae consuming sap or tissue are supposed to die from ingesting pesticide. The effect is concentrated in older tissue.

~ ~ ~

It's been known for a long time that systemics contaminate nectar and pollen.

~ ~ ~

From the research I've done on systemic insecticide, the indications are it is deadly to bees and other insects that contact it. They don't just fall out of the sky. They exhibit behavioral changes, disorientation, feeding problems, communication disturbances leading to death.

    Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 12:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
Sponsored Products
Original Painted Auricula Study - YELLOW
$895.00 | Horchow
Slamp | Fiorella Suspension Lamp
$730.00 | YLighting
Hampton Outdoor Coffee Table in Off-White Finish, Patio Furniture
$495.00 | FRONTGATE
27-inch Tapered Floor Vase
Star Flower Iron Scrollwork Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
Garden Gatherer Wall Plaque/Garden Statue - 183
$37.99 | Hayneedle
Flower Hammered Platter Set
$74.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Chintz
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™