Opportunistic lizards

tima9209March 30, 2012

I've been watching a little green anole lizard prowl the brick wall a foot away from one of my hanging feeders. I even caught him sitting on the feeder for several minutes, which was starting to get me mad. Today, I got lucky and glanced out the window just in time to see him jump from the wall to the feeder, grab a bug that was trying to score some nectar, and jump back to the wall, bug in mouth, which he swallowed whole some time later. If I had blinked, I'd have missed his attack, which was over in probably .1 seconds. I hope he hangs around and has an appetite for wasps.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christy2828(8a)

Cool!! I had one living in my back yard in Florida, never noticed him near my feeders. The kids got a kick out of him, but he could be hard to spot!! We sat outside one day for a full hour, with 6 kids running around. My sister looked over and he was 2 feet from her face in a bush. Had likely been there the whole time. Christy :)

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 7:56AM
tima9209

Anole lizards are very pretty, and they don't bite too hard when you catch them. House geckos OTOH...

The hummingbird activity is picking up. The first one hit the shrimp plant on March 14, and I hadn't seen more than two before today, when I saw five at once. Up to three feeders now, mainly to frustrate the aggressive male who thinks it's his job to sit on a tree branch all day and guard them all.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:04PM
rowdy13(9a Valrico)

I had Carolina Anole regularly feeding at a hummingbird feeder on my front porch last August. I've added a link to a video that includes of his approach to the feeder as well as his meal. It's not the best video and it's a number of clips pieced together but hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Steve in Valrico.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Anole on a Tweeter Totter Hummingbird Feeder

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 10:46PM
rowdy13(9a Valrico)

The following series of photos was taken a few years ago when I first observed an anole feeding at a hummingbird feeder. I did not see the bird until I looked at the photos.

Steve in Valrico

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 10:55PM
tima9209

That's pretty cool! I haven't seen mine drinking, just hunting. :)

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 12:16PM
hummersteve

Truly enjoyed the picture series. Excellent capture of hummer taking exception to the invader. I have little lizards about that size around here but they are not green they are dark either grey or brown and one got in my house once and I had to run him down lest he start a family inside.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 3:48PM
tima9209

I finally caught the little guy lapping away at one of the ports. Some of the hummingbirds are brave enough to feed on the opposite side, but most just hover angrily a few inches away until they realize the lizard doesn't care.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Splish Splash
Just took this on a very cool, breezy morning at about...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
Sponsored Products
Dransfield & Ross Lizard Chic Pillow
Beyond Stores
Oak Trail Accent Light by Kichler
$96.60 | Lumens
Crystal Lizard Box
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
Stein World Morgana Mirror
Beyond Stores
Iron Lizard Figurine Set
$34.99 | zulily
White Paperboard Decorative Suitcases (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Forcado Valet Tray
$600.00 | FRONTGATE
Manhattan Latte and Black Porcelain Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™