About Canning Green Tomatoes

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)October 29, 2011

Hello, I am new to this forum and fairly new to canning. I just finished canning two jars of green tomato and cayenne pepper pickes, using a recipe I found on the net. I used the cold pack, hot water bath method, but just discovered a site by the USDA on the subject. For green tomato pickles, their recipes instructed sprinkling the green tomatoes with salt (pickling salt I believe) and leaving them for 24 -48 hours; then rinsing several times before packing, etc. I did not do that. My question: what is the purpose of the salting and rinsing? Does it have some bacterial action? Perhaps colour or texture retention? I just like to do things the right way, but time is always of the essence for me. Besides, I don't want to make myself and my family sick. Thank you,

Northerner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

Can you post the recipe you used, or a link to it? That is really the only way for someone to determine if the recipe you used is safe.

Salting is typically used to draw out excess water from the vegetables before pickling. The rinsing is done to get the excess saltiness out of the food - or else your pickles would end up tasting like a salt lick.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™