I saw in another post that you got you Agdia test strips. Your results, please? N
Sorry if I did not complete the cycle, but I am very pleased to report that the test was negative. I have a clean garden so far. Whew, and I am so glad that Frank said why wait 2 years for any signs to show, when I can test NOW. Duhhhhh.
Well, now I can touch my two beautiful plants, the two suspects, and the innocent bystander Fragrant Queen, and deal with them instead of making pariahs out of them. It was very sad to think that I'd soon be RoundUpping three fault-free perfect-leafed hosta. And they were the only three I had IN THE GROUND.
I combined the leaf pieces to make one test sample, and thus have four remaining test strips I can use during the coming year. I was afraid I'd mess up with the test, but no, it was very easily done by following their directions. Critical to getting results is (a) correct sample size, and
(b)depth of insertion for strip in the prepared sample.
Now I can enjoy my two Lowes hosta, but there will be NO OTHERS from such a source EVER.
and innocent bystander Fragrant Queen #1 from PDN:
Couple of points about the test. don't use too much plant material. One of my samples didn't register at all because I'd mashed up a big sample and made the liquid so dense that it couldn't penetrate up the test strip. completely wasted test. But I'm glad you tested; I know I'm always glad to be able to completely eliminate HVX as the problem. N
Yes, Tomahawk, I had read the cautions about keeping the sample the correct size. What I did was slice off from the two Lowes plants pieces of leaf. Then I placed a quarter on the table, and cut the sample(s) to fit that diameter.
I placed the samples in the reactant (whatever they call it),BETWEEN THE LAYERS OF MESH, and got a round pen (smooth round bottom) and very busily smushed it up. The skeleton structure of the leaf parts remained there, translucent and colorless, with the green color in solution.
I had to be careful inserting the test strip, because the solution wanted to wick up the strip further than it should be. Keeping the test envelope vertical is advisable IMHO, to avoid any wicking. Keeping the sample liquid at the 1/4 inch line gave me the result I wanted.
Although, I must admit, I watched the strip for the full 30 minutes, thinking the ONE LINE showing up was a sign of an invalid result. When it dawned on me it was the base line and THERE WAS NO LINE FOR HVX POSITIVE RESULTS, I gave an audible sigh. What a great feeling it was. A real life saver or a reprieve of the death sentence for those three hosta. And here is Winter Snow yesterday--now I can enjoy her.