an easy way to propagate cardinal flower with my pond

beaniebeagleMarch 27, 2013

Some of my stems flopped over in my yard last summer and I decided to see if one of them would root in my pond. I put it in upright in a foot of water without cutting the up the stem. I only removed the flowers. But of course it kept falling over on its side and I just left it floating, A few weeks later I noticed growth along multple points along the stem with roots forming. They were small and I decided to not bother to try potting them up in the fall since I had no where to put them.

Throughout the winter, the roots got longer.

Today when I decided to start cleaning up the pond, I had 6 of these growths from a single stem.

I still have to see if they will survive being potted up in soil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctnchpr

Thanks for posting this info, you can never have too many CF's. That clump you're holding looks like it has more than 1 plant, and with roots like that, they shouldn't have any trouble surviving!

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:47AM
terrene(5b MA)

Wow that is cool, please update the thread when you find out what happens when you transplant to soil. I think I've read on the houseplant forum that some roots that have been in water too long, or something like that don't do well in soil?

I agree you can never have too much L. cardinalis. It is a top hummingbird plant in my gardens! I seem to have more every year, because it invariably reseeds itself here and there. It seems to prefer odd places such as the edge of the garden bed or in the middle of the wood chip path. I love stumbling on little cardinal flower seedlings! And then I transplant them to a new garden patch, or give some away.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:45PM
NCgardenmouse(7)

Do you think it could live (without taking over!) in a pond either as a floater or potted up? I ask because in my area of NC finding plants for my pond is quite difficult. I have 2 water lilies & an iris along with some goldfish now, but would like to achieve a lusher look. The pic is from last summer at start up, the papyrus & elephant ear didn't make it through the winter.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 10:16AM
dave_k_gw

Yesterday the gas company ran a new supply line to my meter. I can't complain, I only lost two plants, a Cardinal Flower (there are others) and a Lantana. Remembering the above, I saved the Cardinal Flower stalk in three sections wrapped in wet newspaper. Also the flower head in the pic. Probably I'm wrong, but it sure looks like small roots are already forming on that. If so, it'll be the fastest rooting I've ever seen.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™