Floating Applesauce?

orffbearOctober 10, 2013

Hi everyone,

I've canned applesauce for years using the Ball Book recipe/ procedure. It seemed like the first batch I did this year had more air - the texture just looked odd - more foamy (although no actual foam) than solid, if that makes any sense. Tasted fine, although again, a little less "solid" than previous years. I went ahead and canned it, but when I removed the canning lid, one jar was floating on its side. All lids sealed, but this morning, there is a liquid separation at the bottom of the jars and distinct air bubbles in the sauce part.

Any thoughts as to why this is? The only thing I can come up with is that the apples were somehow different. I did use a slightly different mix of apples than previously because they were here and needed to be dealt with. It is only a small batch, so no great loss.

Your comments welcome.

Thanks,
sarah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Some apples have more air in their cells than others. It sounds as though it was too thick if it has the bubbles and separated. It will be fine, though. Applesauce should move in the jars when you gently shake them. If it doesn't, it is too thick.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 10:21AM
myfamilysfarm

My apple chunks are more 'floaty' than usual. Might be the year. My jars were actually floating in the BWB, qt jars filled correctly and at the end of the processing time, 2-3 jars were floating. I was worried about the jars possibly be broken, but that wasn't the case. This happened to 5-8 batches out of the 12-15 batches that I did. All apples were from 2 trees and it didn't matter which tree the apples were from.

All sealed fine, but I will be watching.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 12:44PM
orffbear

Thanks everyone. It does move in the jars as in previous years, just a different textural thing, I guess. Since it was just a small batch (all sealed), I put it in the refrigerator anyway. It will be used for cooking in the near future, so I'm not worried. Just curious.

Thanks again,
Sarah

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Pressure canning jam?
Hi all -- Ok, I have to admit that I just hate BWB...
fearlessem
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Freezing Orange Juice
Has anyone successfully frozen orange juice? When I...
sautesmom
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
Sponsored Products
Asher modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
RenWil Aerovane Wall art
Beyond Stores
Foire au Wall Art
$359.00 | FRONTGATE
Artifort | Hanna Lounge Chair
YLiving.com
Anderson Loveseat - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Monterey 60" Bathroom Vanity Set - Gray Oak
Modern Bathroom
ACF by Nameeks ACF CP05-GO City Play 22-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Gray Oa
Hayneedle
Lindsay Console Table
Cost Plus World Market
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™