hoya sp. square leaf now has a name?

sbergAugust 26, 2011

There's a message on Joni's website indicating Hoya sp. square leaf is now Hoya rotundiflora....does anyone know anything about this? I noticed there's already a Hoya rotundifolia, which might be confusing...anyhow, I found it interesting but was hoping for more information...thanks to anyone who can share...

Shelley

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greedygh0st

Found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: sp. rotundiflora

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 9:59AM
sberg

Wow GG, that was like magic they way you did that! Thanks! And very interesting too....

Shelley

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 10:21AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I'm NOT a big fan of that new name for Sp. square,lol...maybe it will grow on me? I prefer the old name personally.

GG, I sent you an email...please lmk if you didn't get it? Thanks!

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 10:23AM
mdahms1979

I had noticed the recent verification of the name Hoya rotundiflora and although it is aptly named I think most of us think immediately about the unique leaf shape of this species vs those little round ball like flowers.

Mike

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 11:04AM
sberg

I agree--the name makes sense to me...the flowers are round (rotund) and do look a lot like a rotunda (think Capital dome)...I'm not sure what the Latin for "square" is, but I suppose they could have named it after the leaf instead of the flower...I was especially interested to note that it's related to H. thompsonii...I can see that too...

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 11:19AM
mdahms1979

The name is not necessarily new and may have been published in the past with only now having this still relatively newly collected plant identified.

Mike

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 11:47AM
sberg

I think the name is new---look at GG's link...the taxonomy lists "Hoya rotundiflora, Rodda & Simonsson, sp. nov. and it's referred to as an "undescribed species"...it did not appear on the one check list of flora from Myanmar that currently exists...It sounds like Rodda and Simonsson actually came up with a new name for a new species...

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 12:27PM
mdahms1979

Yeah it helps when I actually look at the link, sorry GG.
This is in fact a newly published name then, thanks Sberg. :)

Mike

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 3:37PM
greedygh0st

I am also partial to the unofficial name sp. square leaf. Isn't that just what we deserve for complaining all the time that no one has gotten around to publishing such a cute plant? Now that it's published we have to complain that it wasn't named the way we want it. xD I was going through the same thought process as Shelley(e.g. What's Latin for square) on the walk to work.

lol Shelley. It was a bit like magic on my end, too. The first link I clicked had exactly what I wanted. It's always a bit eerie when the internet behaves too much. :P

I was gratified to hear it's related to thompsonii, as I've compared the two before, and subsequently wondered if I was just thinking like a n00b. I've come a long ways, but I still haven't gotten my expert eyes yet.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
My Hoya onychoides
Hey all, my Hoya onychoides finally bloomed for the...
rennfl
Wrinkly leaves
Some of the leaves on my new Hoya carnose 'Krimson...
bunnygurl
succulent leafed hoyas
Would love to know from all of you which hoyas have...
pal123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™