Siting in Plymouth, Massachusetts

janniel(seGA)March 18, 2007

I am very curious if any of you have visited this site. I almost missed it before I left. I guess there is hope for all up north. I believe Kristin_Williams gave the address for the site:

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/spring2007.html?layers=hbird_ruby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kristin_williams(6)

It looks like this was a bird that got confused and never went south, rather than an incredibly early northward migrant.

What puzzles me about the picture, though, is that I think it was supposed to have been taken in December or January, but it seems like there are deciduous leaves in the background. Or are they pine needles? What's up with that?

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 11:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellen_s(z5 centralMA)

I can't imagine any migrant would be flying into the late winter we are having up here? It does sound a little odd. We don't see migrants in southern New England usually til mid April.

I'll believe anything though. 4 or 5 years ago, we had a Rufous Hummingbird at our feeder in late November during a snowstorm. Rufous do not generally live in our region! I have the photo to prove he was here though :-)

I think the photo is just a stock photo of a ruby-throat hummingbird they put on all those maps. I don't think it's a photo of the Plymouth hummer.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™