Privacy Tree/Bushes side of house

NewGardenerFLNovember 28, 2011

Hi, I've recently moved into a property and have a window in my family room which looks directly out to a blank stark wall of the side of my neighbour's house.

I'm looking for a fast growing tree / bush to plant outside this window to give me something pleasant to look at from the room apart from this wall!

I was told my an expert at Lowes that the Cat Palm would be a good choice - but I'm not sure this will get tall enough to provide the coverage I need!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I just googled cat palm. It looks like what I call a parlor palm, an indoor plant. It does say it can be planted outside in some parts of Florida, but that it won't take direct sunlight. Maybe the person at Lowe's heard you say window and was thinking of an indoor plant for you? I can't think of anything off hand that will grow fast for you.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 3:52PM
echobelly

How about putting up a trellis and planting vines? You can make the trellis whatever size you need to hide the wall, put it just outside your window, or closer to the wall, and the structure alone will give you something better to look at. I put up a trellis 7' high x 30' long to give the back yard some instant privacy. I planted a number of different vines on it. The blue sky vine is definitely taking over and is usually covered with flowers. I'd recommend that.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 11:24AM
FLgardenmom

Search old topics for bamboo. Several members have made excellent arguments for it as a fast growing privacy screen.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 2:25PM
abnorm(Orlando)

Are you looking for privacy or simply an accent/view ?

What direction does the window face ?

How much room between house/window and property line ?...and again to the other house ?

How tall from the ground is your window sight line ?

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 9:30AM
crueltyfre(Tampa 9a heat 10 sunset 26)

I was thinking bamboo or vines, too. Just make sure that any vines are evergreen and not deciduous.
Lori

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™