Blooming today...

quinnfyre(z7 PA)August 26, 2010

Multiflora! First time! No time to post pics now, but it looks like a herd of wild horses running towards you. Or so it seems to me : ) I have been wick watering it, and it loves it. Except for a small bout against spider mites, it has been doing well since its conversion to wick watering. Hooray!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greedygh0st

lol Awesome description, Quinn. I can totally see that. Congratulations on your hard-won success.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:11AM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Here is the herd of wild horses, ha:

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 1:47AM
Jan Sword

Great photos! I love multiflora because it's unique flowers and it flowers often.
Good job!
Jan

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 7:43AM
PRO
SRQHoyas(6)

Hi Quinn,
I believe you've got H. javanica! It is very similar to H. multiflora that most don't realize there are two different species.
For more info...check out this link.
Well cannot post the link since it was 'zapped' by security.
I'll Gmail you this link...if I can?

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 8:13AM
mdahms1979

Here is the best I can do now that Stemma is history and I can't find David Liddle's photo page either.
Look at the tip of the corona to see if they arch inward as in multiflora or if the tips are bent outward like javanica or C. floribunda.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya multiflora montage

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 10:06AM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Hmmm, fascinating! After checking out both sets of photos (thanks to both of you, by the way!) and comparing them with my pics, I believe it IS javanica. Not that it mattered either way, but it is always nice to know what you have. Now what to do about the fact that 'multiflora' is literally written on one of its leaves? Will it have an identity crisis? : )

It's got another peduncle going already. Fun! I don't even think the cutting is a foot tall yet. I did have to stake it now that it has the extra weight of blooms, though. It started leaning over to one side a lot.

So this brings my count of hoyas that have bloomed for me up to 3: this guy, wayetti, and speckled lacunosa. And two out of the three turned out to be something else: javanica instead of multiflora, and wayetti instead of kentiana.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:12PM
mdahms1979

My plant isn't Hoya multiflora either but I refer to it as that species for some reason. The Epiphtica page has some good photos of both species on page three of the Hoya section.
If you notice a smell from the blooms can you report back to us? According to the photo montage my plant is Cyrtoceras floribunda and it seems to have a faint scent during the late mornings sometimes.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiphytica

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 1:20AM
dmichael619(8a)

Very nice pics Quinn!!! I have always assumed that mine was multiflora as well. It's got buds that should be open any day now so I guess I should go by the chart and see what I actually have!!

david

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
succulent leafed hoyas
Would love to know from all of you which hoyas have...
pal123
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™