Miss those hummers

tonyb416(z5-6 NJ)March 4, 2007

I miss the hummers that visited my little garden patch over the summer. I guess it's still too early to put out a feeder in New Jersey. Anyone have an idea when I can put one out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kristin_williams(6)

tonyb, I suggest you put your feeder out on April 1st--(no foolin'!)

If you take a look at the hummingbird migration map and look at previous years, you will see that the first birds don't return to New Jersey until very late in March (in the extreme south of Jersey) or the first or second week in April for most of the rest of the state. Keep in mind, though, these are FIRST arrivals, and the majority of the population will arrive later. Unless you are very lucky, you probably won't see your first bird before mid to late April. If you put your feeder out on April 1st, you should be fine for even the earliest birds. Be sure to empty and clean it every few days so that the sugar water doesn't ferment and spoil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird migration map

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 1:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Last year the first reports for my area were april 4-5 but given the fact they seem to be earlier this year Im sure my feeders will be up a little before April 1, unless we have a really cold spell at that time.

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™