'The Hummingbird House'......

gardenlady48(z5 IL)April 3, 2006

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has purchased the hummingbird house and had a nest built in it?

Any Ruby Throated hummers nest in these houses?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I have only heard of one report that they actually used one of those contraptions. They will build a nest in some very uncanny places but I wouldn't wast the money on a hummingbird house. I would spend my money on another feeder or plant.

Penny

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 7:30AM
sidk

I looked at those things once before but I looked again to see if I was missing something. $29.95 seems awful steep for something you could make yourself out of copper tubing like you use in plumbing, some solder and a wood screw. I bet even coat hanger wire would work if you twisted it into a shape that would hold a nest. I can't see why the birds would care if it has a little plastic leaf on top or not.

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 12:58PM
scaldude(Sunset Z23 SouthOC)

I've never heard of a hummingbird house, but if it ever gets used, don't remove the abandoned nest...they will reuse it the following year (after a little fixing-up).

They've nested twice in our courtyard (2 chicks each time)....I think the landscaper removed it....I should have posted a sign for it to be left alone, LOL.

Good luck.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™