cleanig feeders

luvofrosesApril 7, 2012

It has been a long while since I have posted. Today I saw our first hummer for the season,and I was wondering what was the best way to clean the feeders after the winter break. I have in the past just washed them with very hot water but I am sure there is a better way.

Thanks for your help

Ann in So. Ut

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julie717

I always wash mine with undiluted white vinegar. I do that every time I refill them, not just after the winter, though.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 2:45PM
ctnchpr

I use vinegar, also. It rinses clean very quickly, and doesn't leave a residual smell like chlorine bleach or soaps.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 3:00PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I use hot water with just a few drops of dish soap, use a brush for the feeding ports - every time I refill them all year around. I rinse copiously each time.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 4:18PM
hummersteve

I use a 2% bleach soak at the end of season and anytime theres a hint of mold. Then rinse them very well with cold water. If there is a bleach residue smell the hummers havent complained nor have their numbers dwindled.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 8:40PM
luvofroses

Thank you so much for the correct ways to clean. I cleaned mine, all have been filled and put back up for the season. It wasn't too long that we were rewarded with two little new ones for their first drink at our porch.
Ann in So Ut

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 2:12AM
hummersteve

I will add that on regular routine cleaning its hot water with a little dish soap , sponge scrubber, port brush for feeder holes and a good cold rinse.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 9:02AM
hbwright(z7bSC)

I use dish soap and hot water for my feeders and use the craft wire to clean the ports or any tubing if I use a tube feeder.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:54AM
More Discussions
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™