Zone 9 Tropical over wintering questions

akaj9(9 Central Florida)November 1, 2011

Every year I give into summer temptations for tropicals, we get a bad freeze and I loose most everything .... I have just started containers, instead of putting everything in the ground, and was wondering...I have an open barn 30x30, if I move them into the barn during the winter will they survive 32 or lower weather? They wont get frost because they are covered, but what about temps alone, even if protected? I really want to try some tropicals again.....:(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judyk_2008(9 DeLeon Sprs)

It all depends on the types of tropicals. If your barn is open, it will probably be the same temp as outside, just no frost. You could throw frost blankets over them in the barn. That might be enough but still a gamble. I had frost blankets on my peppers and papaya but lost them anyway. My lime had christmas light under the blanket and made it. I think one cold night at a time isn't too bad, but when you have repeated nights of freezing like the last few years, they just can't make it. I've lived in my house 15 years and the last couple years have finished off most of my hibiscus's.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 2:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akaj9(9 Central Florida)

Thats what I was afraid of....

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants
This year I branched out and grew two varieties of...
happy_fl_gardener
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™