chicken waterer

houstontexas123(z9a)April 21, 2011

last year i planted a few honeysuckles along part of my fence. seen a few hummingbirds throughout the summer. this year i am thinking about getting some hummingbird feeders.

looking through this forum i found a link to a video showing a red saucer/bowl with about 20 hummingbirds perched on the rim and drinking. think the video was taken in/around Denver, CO.

i used to raise chickens. for the baby chicks i had a quart sized waterer. looks like this but smaller.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/chicken-equipment/harris-farms-poultry-drinker-1-gal-capacity-2167654

thinking of buying one or two and trying it out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbzdude

I would suggest getting a regular feeder. You will have loads of bees and wasps if the nectar is out in the open like that. Also, I would suggest adding some more hummingbird plants that bloom for longer periods of time(its the safest/easiest/most natural way to feed hummers). Try some firebush and some black and blue salvia (their guarenteed to bring in large numbers).

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

I agree that you do not want to leave a large volume of nectar out in the open. It will be covered with bees and wasps, and the Hummers won't be able to use it. I do love that chicken waterer though. I bought one at my T. Supply, filled it with water, and hung it in a tree for my songbirds!! They love it, and so do the squirrels. It gets lots of visits!!~~Angie

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
Splish Splash
Just took this on a very cool, breezy morning at about...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Sponsored Products
Poultry Shears
$8.99 | zulily
Cuisinart Chefs Classic Stainless Steel Roasting Pan with Rack - 7117-16UR
$59.95 | Hayneedle
Stainless Steel Dolce Eight-Piece Knife Set
$99.99 | zulily
Farberware Specialties 10.5 in. Covered Deep Fry Pan - 20833
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Stainless Steel Roasting Rack
$7.99 | zulily
Bradley Smoke Generator - BTSG1
$175.99 | Hayneedle
Del Monte Foods - Pet Food Market Select Real Chicken & Liver Meow Mix - 24 Pack
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Silver Oil-Less Fryer
$74.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™