Snow and Hummers

salliestarrApril 23, 2012

A fine snow is falling here in SW VA and temps in mid 30s. I've seen two hummers at my feeder this morning. Amazing that they are here in this weather. Do they go into a kind of stupor in this cold weather? They look in great shape and must have had a good buffet on their northward trek. In fact one was feeding and chased another off......quite active. Hope they stay warm tonight!!!

Any ideas of algae control for a fountain that will not hurt birds or golden retrievers? Wondering about vinegar?

Thanks.....SS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctnchpr

Hi SS,

Stupor is what I go into when I've had too much Tequila. Torpor is what the hummers go into when it's too cold. They'll be OK, the little ones have been enduring sharp changes in weather for a looooong time.

And yes, vinegar would work great on your fountain.

cc

Here is a link that might be useful: Info

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:34AM
salliestarr

LOL.....knew I was close :-) Thanks for correcting me! They were here just a few minutes ago at the feeder. It's in the 40s but predicted low 30s tonight. Wish I could let them in my sunroom for the night. Good news re vinegar. I knew it wouldn't hurt my dogs but wondered about birds. I have a frog living in it too.......no fish though. Vinegar will be greatly diluted by the time the hummer drank........ss

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 12:55PM
ctnchpr

sallie, I think I misunderstood your question about the vinegar. I thought you were going to clean the fountain with vinegar, but you're wanting to mix vinegar with the water to control algae? It probably won't hurt the birds, but they may not drink it. I'd be more concerned about the frog - they have very sensitive skin (think acid rain).

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™