H. Onychoides

moonwolf_gwAugust 8, 2010

Hi everyone,

Well, it's happened. The bug bit me again and I'm on the hunt for onychoides! I have decided to trade away my diversifolia for it. Anyone have any growing tips to share for growing this one?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

Brad,

You can get one from Gardino's, though I see they're out right now. You probably know they'll put you on a waiting list and notify you when it's available. I got mine from them 2 years ago.

Mine sits on the top shelf in the GH, so it gets lots of sun and heat, and it's quite a water guzzler. It's one that tends to be the last to start growing for me and has a short period that it actually does grow. But while it grows, it grows FAST.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 5:41PM
moonwolf_gw

Denise, I did see Gardinos's has is listed. Do you think a self-watering pot might be the way to go with onychoides?
I read it does love moisture.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 7:09PM
denise_gw

Brad,

I don't do self-watering pots myself. I like to have control of the watering. But there are some that swear by it. I would say it's not "moisture loving", but that it dries fast. It's a subtle difference. Multiflora (javanica) is "moisture loving" - doesn't want to go dry at ALL. I've thought about trying the self watering pots with that one. Ones like onychoides (macgillivrayii, archboliana...), they just "suck up" the water quickly, needing watered more often. I let them get dry, but it takes far less time than most Hoyas.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 9:22PM
moonwolf_gw

Denise, I do have my compacta in a self watering pot and it loves it! I just might put it in a regular pot then.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 9:26PM
theplanthoarder

You could get a cutting from Joni at SRQhoyas. They are easy to root. I accidently broke off one of the limbs of the one I bought from Joni so I put rooting hormone on it and stuck it in the pot. It rooted very easily. It is a large plant so as it grows it will need a lot of space. It hasn't bloomed yet but it is a nice plant with its big leaves even without blooming.

Michelle

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 10:34PM
mitzicos(11)

Is H. Onychoides difficult to root?

Does anyone could share with me your experience with this one please?

Thank you

Mitzi

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Aurora, are the cuttings a no-go?
Hello, i was just inquiring about the hoya cuttings. I...
tlbean2004
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Any tips on how to NOT kill this new Fishtail Hoya
I walked into lowes this morning and found this large...
tlbean2004
Hoya" preatorii& "lasiantha.
Hello hoya lovers, I need some help on my recent purchase...
cara
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™