Waiting For Hummingbirds

waiting4hummingbirdsApril 30, 2007

Okay, this is my first year to really try to attract Hummingbirds. I am very anxious and very impatient! :) Last week I put out two feeders, quite a bit of red salvia, and a red penta plant. I have other flowers as well, but those are the main ones that I have that hummers are attracted to. Can anyone tell me if hummers are already out and about in my area (North Texas)? Any suggestions on attracting them quickly? :) Thanks for your suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pchan27

The hummingbirds have been migrating back through for about a month. I'm in central Texas and have had a ruby throat pass through and have a male and female black-chin who reside in the area.
If this is your first year it could take quite a bit of time for them to find you. Are you in the city or out in the country? If they already have preselected areas out, this could be a reason why they don't always find you at first.
I remember my first year I put greggiis and feeders out. It took a couple of months before one showed up. Just keep a look out. Once you see one, they should show up more often.

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 10:19PM
waiting4hummingbirds

Thanks for the insight. I am in the city, so yea I figured it might take me a little longer before I see any. I go out constantly throughout the day hoping to see one. I'll just keep waiting and hopefully they will find me soon! :) Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 10:55PM
pchan27

Just be patient. It will take time and they will find you. I never even knew they existed in the city. You hardly see them. I did that my first year also. I kept going outside and checking to see if I had any! Don't give up!

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
Sponsored Products
Hand-carved Cherry Wood Console Table
Overstock.com
Hartz Chirp N Chase Cat Toy - 0860-0355
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Wood Samples: Mohawk Flooring Fairview Honey Oak Laminate Flooring - 5 in. x 7
$10.00 | Home Depot
Armature Chrome and Polished Nickel One-Light Wall Sconce
$58.00 | Bellacor
WBM Himalayan Lamps 3 in. LED USB Himalayan Ionic Crystal Salt Mini Lamp Orange
$19.97 | Home Depot