Question

idachristinaAugust 1, 2010

Hello,

I have a two year old hoya carnosa that i grew from a cutting given to me by my mother in law. It hasn't flowered yet, but a flower bud appeared a few weeks ago - I was overjoyed as I had not expected this from my young hoya! However, shortly after a book from a shelf above it fell on one of the stems with young leaves and partly broke it :( It seemed to heal itself, but after a while the leaves on this stem started to turn light green instead of their usual dark green. Also, the new bud (which thankfully is on another stem) immediately went sloppy and stopped developing.

My question is: shall I leave the broken stem in the hope that it will improve, or shall I cut it, and try to put it in water to see if it roots? As I mentioned the leaves on this stem are quite young, so I wouldn't want to cut it if it would have low chances of surviving.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Ida

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

If you think it's damaged, I would go ahead and cut it off. There's no point in having your plant put energy in trying to salvage that piece. If you cut it back, it will take that energy and work on producing a new, vital vine. I've learned there's nothing quite like a little pruning that will set the growth hormone juices flowing! If you try to root it, it may or may not make it, but either way, your mother plant will be happier without it.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Bloom trigger?
Growers, Hoya beginner here....I grow a wide variety...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
extending bamboo life
Do you dip these into anything to extend their life?...
greentoe357
Wrinkly leaves
Some of the leaves on my new Hoya carnose 'Krimson...
bunnygurl
rooting in semi-hydro media
I am going to try rooting my next batch of cuttings...
greentoe357
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™