Feeling anxious in Central VA

myoneandonly(z7VA)April 28, 2007

Last year was my first for having hummers, and I have to admit I'm feeling anxious as those farther north report sightings. I've had my feeder out for weeks, changing it every couple of days, but with no evidence that it's been used. Yesterday I put plants in my window boxes hoping to create a welcome on my very small balcony, but it will be several days before they get flowers. I got a small black and blue salvia that has plenty of promising buds, that last year was a real hit. I have a lonicerum (Dropmore) and Mrs. Bradshaw geum, both blooming, as hummingbird beacons, got up at six because that's what time I first observed one last year, but nothing yet. I saw a lady at K Mart buying a feeder, and she had seen a small one several days ago. I wish they'd come here. I'm all ready.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynneinmd

They're here, but we haven't seen them in great numbers... my neighbor has fed them for several years and put her feeders out about a week ago. She said she saw a scout about 3 days ago. I have two feeders I got from Freecycle and put them up last night and had a visitor at 7 this morning, and this afternoon there were a pair of them at the feeder at the same time.

Lynne (in Bowie, MD - between DC and Annapolis)

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™