Can you grow Carnations in Central Florida?

jwahlton(9B Kisimee)November 9, 2009

Carnations are my favorite flower and I would LOVE to be able to grow those. Do they grow in Central Florida? What time of year do you plant? Where do you get the seeds?

TIA

Julia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
an_ill-mannered_ache

yes; plant them now; they're called pinks or dianthus--rarely labeled carnations. the smaller-flowered varietals are easiest, but i've grown the full-sized ones, too. some of them are perennial, but they look like crap in the summer so i don't bother.

you can get them at big box stores, or check out swallowtail seeds (google it!)--i like their seed selection a lot and their prices are pretty reasonable...

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 5:36PM
writersblock

Stuart used to be a big commercial carnation growing area, so you should be fine.

I have a related question. Last season I bought a small pot of something labeled as Mexican Strawberry dianthus, but I don't think it was. It was a small pink single dianthus with white markings, and it was very highly scented--most unusual for any plant from HD. Any guesses as to what it really might have been? With deadheading it bloomed like crazy all winter and probably would have summered over but I finally let it go. I'd love to find another.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 6:12PM
jwahlton(9B Kisimee)

Thanks. So tfhese can be grown well from seeds or should I look for the plants? I want lots of colorful great smelling carnations! And should they be in pots or in the ground? Full sun, etc?

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 7:08PM
writersblock

If you have particular requirements you're probably better off with seeds. The big box stores mostly have lots of small single flowered dianthus, usually scentless, but that's a fast way to start if you're in a hurry.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 7:20PM
featherhoof(zone 9)

I didn't know we could grow carnations here. Cool.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 9:07PM
tumblingtomatoes

We planted seeds from Ferry Morse, bought at Lowes for about a dollar last year, carnation mixed colors. We didn't get a lot germiante but the ones that did were nice, clove like scent small, single layered carnation flowers on stems about a foot high!

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™